3. Oosterdam
First of all, the weather was perfect. The shore activities (deep sea fishing, and the canopy adventure) were a lot of fun. We live in Orange County Ca., so the travel to the ship was easy and took less than an hour. We parked across the street after dropping off our bags. (The parking lot will give you a big discount if you use your AAA credit card to pay for the parking.) We arrived early before the crowd, so we were upstairs eating in the Lido Restaurant in less than 1/2 hour. The Lido was crowded during that period but, that was really the only time we were forced to wait in much of a line the whole week. Overall, I don't know how the week could have gone any better than it did. During this review I will focus on the positive things that happened during the cruise and include the small negatives afterwards. (nitpick) Our Superior Veranda Suite was roomy and well designed. The large Veranda was big enough for two easy chairs and a table and chairs for outdoor lunches. I thought my wife and I would use it more than we did. The room was like having a small hotel room with a balcony. It was perfect for our needs. Our man Bobby was great. He bumped into us the first day while he figured out our schedule then disappeared except for great service. Thank you Bobby The lifeboat drill was well coordinated and over quickly. Nitpick... We were standing next to an air vent on the deck when they talked about emergency procedures, and we could not hear what was being said. We danced in the Ocean Bar most evenings before our late seating, then walked down to the Vista for dinner. We were seated at a window table for six on the bottom level looking out at the propeller wake behind the boat. Nitpick... the propellers were a little too noisy some nights. The menu at the Vista changed every night, but most nights were good and the service was good. There were some unusual offerings like blueberry gazpacho soup, that turned out to be very good. The other people seated at our table were very pleasant to talk to and we stayed after the meals to finish several long winded conversations. Nitpick... My wife and I would prefer a more open seating type of dining after the first few nights. We made friends during the day, but could not go to dinner with them in the evening (unless we went to the upscale Pinnacle Grill).The food at the Vista was also good on the one breakfast and one lunch we ate there. (much better than the standard food in the Lido.) Nitpick... The staff in the Vista were eager to move us out after our meal even though we wanted to sit and talk. Those were the only rude moments on the whole cruise. We used room service for breakfast four days during the cruise. During the three shore days and the last day. The menu did not change. You filled out a preprinted card and placed it on your door the night before. The muesli was very good and so was the ham and cheese omelet. The food was always on time and hot. (Good job Oosterdam crew!) Disembarking We ate breakfast in our room while we waited for our group to be called. The room TV set could be turned to a channel that would announce the various groups that were disembarking. We waited till later, to allow people who were flying an earlier time. By the time we reached our luggage most of the ship was empty and we did not have to fight a crowd at the dock. We were home by noon. Ship Activities We danced most nights, and took in the shows if we were interested. They were fine for the most part. I had a massage the second day and she did a good job. $125 including tip. Nitpick...Twice we saw small small children dancing on the dance floor in stocking feet bumping into the adults. (This is not a HAL problem. This is a rude parent problem.) Also the massage table did not have a place that extended for your head, so it pinched my neck. And she cut me a few times with her long fingernails. At the end of the massage she launched into a sales pitch for some products instead of letting me lay there and relax. (this is a HAL problem.) Shore excursions The fishing trip out of Cabo was like every other fishing trip, (Good if you catch fish and bad if you don't.) A guy on our boat caught an eight foot long marlin, so we all had a good time. Nitpick... Cabo harbor is like riding a tilt-a-whirl, don't go if you get sea sick. Also the captain told the guy who caught the marlin that it would cost $1000 to mount it. When we got back to Cabo the price went up to $1700 and then after he paid he found out that the freight would cost another $400. I was glad it was his fish. Skip Mazatlan, I think this is just a cheap place for HAL to restock the ship. Lots of poor people sticking bracelets and baseball caps in your face where ever we went. Zipline canopy adventure. This was the most fun we had on the cruise! When we got off the tender boat our guide told us that we would be spending most of our time in the treetops as high up as the top of our cruise ship. We didn't believe her. After a one hour ride out of Puerto Vallarta in a troup transport truck, we pulled onto a small dirt road that led back to the ziplines. The guides were young but very careful with us. If you are afraid of heights stay off of this excursion! We swung around on small wires hung between trees approximately 100 feet in the air. At the end we were forced to rapelle down out of the last tree. The whole trip including the walk back up a steep hill took 2 hours. Nitpick... This is a dangerous activity! On the ship we heard stories of people breaking bones or rupturing spleens on other ziplines in other parts of the world. Also we paid $51 for a CD of the adventure but it still hasn't arrived.

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera

Oosterdam Cruise Review by CruiseloverBob

Nitpick... the propellers were a little too noisy some nights.
Disembarking