Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean: Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by caribdiver
Overall Member Rating
Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean
Destination: Eastern Caribbean
1. Itinerary. Decent itinerary with 3 fun stops.
- San Juan: the port time in San Juan was strange: 5p.m. to midnight. Great for walking Old San Juan, back aboard for dinner, and a last walk along the pier. We walked through Old San Juan, then out the old gate and alongside the ocean beneath the old fort (El Morro) This was probably the most beautiful sunset walk we have ever taken.
- St. Thomas. Went scuba diving at Coki Beach. The beach was beautiful but I wouldnt do this dive again. Diving is better with the dive shops at Sapphire Beach and in town. But our time at the beach after the dive was great. This is a nice beach to spend the day .
- St. Maarten. Spent a beach day at Divi Little Bay Beach. Did the full beach thing&rented umbrellas and chairs, swam and More snorkeled, etc. Absolutely beautiful
2. Crew/service. Truly excellent. Cabin service and dining room service were truly outstanding. You will feel pampered. I think Carnival has really improved in this area. I wish the staff would do a better job enforcing smoking policies, and controlling loud offensive behavior that keeps folks up til 3 or 4 in the morning.
3. Food. Good to Excellent. The evening dinners in the dining room were generally good. There were always a few good options every night. Appetizers and desserts were so-so compared to other cruise lines. Breakfast and lunch buffets were OK, but breakfast and lunch were better in the dining room. Buffet lines werent too long. Lunches and breakfasts were also good in the dining room. The NY deli and the grill were also outstanding. The 24 hour pizza was good.
4. Entertainment. My wife is a musician and I depend on her for this evaluation. Entertainment was so-so. The singers/dancers werent all that good. The classical musical group was excellent. The miscellaneous stage shows (comedy, magic) were pretty good. The evening shows are worth going to, but dont quite stand up to the other cruises weve taken.
5. Cabins. Clean, well-maintained, spacious.
6. Embarkation/Debarkation: both were very efficient. We arrived at the pier around noon and it only us took us 15 minutes to in-process and board. Debarkation was also fast; we used the self-assist option, carrying our own bags off. We waited for the third self-assist call, walked off the ship around 8:30, and we were checked into our flight at the airport by 9:30.
Note: we arrived the day before departure and stayed at the Miami Airport Days Inn. This motel was a bit run-down but reasonably clean, very convenient and reasonably priced. Free shuttle from the airport and too the pier&the shuttle service was good and saved us a lot.
7. The Ship. Fairly well maintained, reasonably clean and in good repair. Excellent gym, with lots of equipment, whirlpool, and saunas. Public areas were kept mostly clean. Nice dEcor IMHO.
8. Passengers. Well balanced between young and old. There were quite a few kids on our cruise, and the families we met really liked the kids program.
Note: this was the early part of Spring break. A few of the college Spring-breakers were noisy and offensive. Our tablemates (2 nice couples from Canada) rarely got any sleep due to loud college kids in a number of nearby cabins. These kids partied loud until 3 or 4 in the morning, then slept until afternoon. The Canadians complained to the kids and the staff; the kids ignored them and the staff would not correct the problem. My wife and I were lucky and had few problems of this sort. We have been on one Spring break cruise before and will NEVER do it again. I felt bad for my Canadian friends who left with a bad taste in their mouths for young Americans.
I rate this cruise as a good value and would recommend it with the following qualifiers:
Feel free to email questions to Bill Grier at email@example.com
Happy Cruising! Less
Some good, some not so good
Great ship, lots to do, wonder...
Decrepit ship, food failures, ...
Absolutely wonderful experienc...
Carnival Triumph review - seco...