3. Oosterdam
A wonderful cruise experience. This was our 4th. cruise. We have sailed on the Celebrity Constellation,the NCL Pride of Aloha and the Golden Princess, all of which were in balcony cabins. This was our first cruise on Holland American and our first cruise in an inside cabin. We were concerned that we would find it claustrophobic. The Oosterdam provided us with exemplary service every where on the ship; and to our surprise we experienced no problems staying in our inside cabin. We arrived in San Diego a day early and stayed at the Best Western Bayside Hotel located approx. 4 blocks from the boat terminal. Our hotel room was clean and comfortable. Boarding the Oosterdam the next day around noon took about 25 minutes. Food and drink was available and after eating we found our room was ready although it would be another hour before all our luggage arrived. We found the Oosterdam to be slightly smaller than the other ships we had sailed on. The Oosterdam was maintained throughout the cruise in an excellent state of cleanliness. Our inside cabin on the upper verandah deck had plenty of storage space. There were three closets and storage shelves and drawers everywhere in the cabin. Our empty luggage was stored below the bed. Our bed was firm and comfortable and more than wide enough for two people. Our room steward could not have been better. The room was always promptly cleaned and the bed made-up. There was always ice in our ice bucket and chocolates and towel art creations (towels tied into animal shapes)on our bed when we came in each night. My only observation about our room that may be construed as a negative is that because there were no portholes or balcony doors to admit sunlight each morning we had trouble getting motivated to get out of bed in our dark cabin each morning. In spite of a 7:30 wake up call and an 8am room service breakfast each morning we stayed in bed till around 9:30 watching the Turner movie channel on TV. We discovered that although we will always prefer a balcony cabin, we have no objections to an inside cabin. Food: The Oosterdam does an excellent job with its preparation and presentation of food everywhere we went on the ship. The food at the buffet, the main dining room the Pinnacle speciality restaurant and the hamburger grill was very good to excellent. The fish that I had was always fresh tasting and moist, the vegetables were perfectly seasoned and cooked enough. The breakfast omelets were light and fluffy and the sausage was tasty. The ice cream and sorbets (homemade?) were excellent with a different flavor introduced each day. (surprisingly, only the vanilla tasted bland and not exceptional) My only complaints on the food are as follows: The orange and grapefruit juices were excessively watered down. The pizza instead of being chewy with a crispy crust were always mushy tasting. My waffles were never cooked enough. There were not enough fresh ripe tropical fruits served (mango, papaya, pineapple,etc.) Although I did go to the gym each day I gained 10 pounds on this cruise. Gym: Spacious and adequate facilities although the rug in the gym area needed vacuuming. The men's locker room and showers were always clean, comfortable and fully supplied. Pools: The 2 pools and four woefully small hot tubs were not large enough to handle the crowd on board when the ship was at sea. Excursions: We did no excursions on this cruise and maybe that's why I gained so much weight on this cruise from the continuous eating from morning to midnight. At each port we got off the ship and did some shopping in town. Entertainment: I did not find the entertainment very professional, although everyone else on board appeared satisfied. Passengers: I am in my 60s. This cruise appeared the have a higher percentage of seniors in their 60s, 70s and 80s than on my other cruises. Conclusion: We had a wonderful time on the Oosterdam although we did not go on any exciting excursions. It was the excellent service, accommodations and foods that made it great for us.

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera