3. Island Princess
After flying across country for 5 1/2 hours we were glad to finally get to the Airport in Los Angeles. There were 11 of us traveling as a family group - all with Princess transfers - so there was enough people on our flight just with our group to warrant a Princess representative meeting the group. instead we had to search through 3 terminals before finding someone who told us to just go back to the terminal and wait. One hour later we ventured out again, this time a different rep told us to wait at the curb. Long story short, three (3) hours later we were put on a bus for the forty five minute ride to the pier. Still we didn't leave as we were flagged down at another terminal and waited while another group of passenger baggage was loaded onto the already full bus. When we arrived at the pier it was total pandemonium. Long lines snaked into the terminal until we finally got to the point of the express check in. What good is a platinum card if we have to go through this. This is day 13 of our 15 day cruise and it was such a bad experience that it's pretty annoying. The ship on the whole has been what you would expect of a Princess cruise. The staff is wonderful but the whole concept of dine anytime just isn't happening here. For five straight days I tried to get a dining time that the was either 6:30 or 7PM. I was always told that it was already booked. I even went to the Maitre D' to see what I could do but he suggested that I call the Dine line. Finally on day five I was told by someone on the dine line that they don't want to book the table that late because it would mess up a possible second seating. since four of or group were children, we didn't want to stand around and wait for a such a large table so we had to eat at 5:45 every night - the latest reservation that they would give us. This doesn't seem like much but we would have booked the dining room if we had known. This is my 21st cruise, 11th with Princess and I've always been with a smaller group and have never had this problem before. There have been plenty of activities and things to do. The weather has not been cooperating but that's hardly the cruise line's fault and the staff is doing their best to revise activities around it. Some of our shore excursions were cancelled without warning. Some of us found outside means of getting to see what we wanted and others of us were not able to. Some of the tours went from sold out to a time change to cancelled. It was difficult to get to the tour office sometimes to deal with the problem. Two tours at Hilo were cancelled due to no busses being available. Hopefully, we will be able to get off the ship a whole lot easier than we got on.

Island Princess - Hawaii