3. Adventure of the Seas
Well, we just returned from our first cruise. Wow was it great. We left from San Juan, arrived a day early and stayed at the HoJo on Isla Verde, (watch the prices they tried to overcharge us for our stay) and be prepared to get stuck in the elevator. Our documents said we could not board till 4:00PM, we arrived around 1230/100. We got right out of the cab and the porters told our luggage and away we went. It was FAST. We couldn't get to our room till 2:00PM but we were still on the ship. I guess we were so excited we did not turn around and see the duty free liquor shop when we first got aboard. So we went back thru and got liquor and bought it on board with us, no questions asked. We had 2nd seating at dinner, we will do first seating next time. Our waiter was JOHN LOBO from India, he was great request him if you can. Anna was his assistant she was also good. There is plenty of time to get ready for dinner when you have to board the ship by 5:00 latest. Our room steward was OK. First day at sea we explored the ship and had fun. We didn't do Portofino's or Johnny Rockets (they charge to get in). The ice show was great, we didn't go to see Royal Caribbean dancers, (it didn't interest us). We did see comedian first night at 12:15AM, he was good. Did the Shelby the shopper thing, I didn't feel as though it was worth it unless you really had time to shop. She said a free charm bracelet and showed you a bracelet with charms on it, when we got to the store it was only the bracelet. Also, we went for other free stuff and "they were out". If shopping for nice jewelry we shopped all over islands and ended up at Gemsland in St. Maarten, real nice. I was told by ship to go to Diamonds International and that was a bust. We walked out. They are a joke. Aruba we did ATV's that were great, I booked the excursion myself and it included the pick up and ride back to the ship, email me and I will give you info. It was Rancho Daimari, they also have horses. Aruba shopping is right there at the pier. We also did Sunset Cataram cruise from RCI from 5 to 7, it was great and you go right there from the ship's dock. (no watered down drinks there). Curacao we docked far away (ship too large) had to walk about 1.0miles to get ferry to cross over to Curacao shopping district. It was pretty but shopping and ferry rides took up the day. St. Maarten, we told the cruise tour of French side of island and got dropped off back on Dutch side, MARCEL was our tour and very very good. We got our jewelry on GEMSLAND and went to the beach (right there) while it was being sized. Then 2 more beers for the water taxi back to ship after picking up the jewelry. St. Maarten was also far from town, but shopping and beaches were right there once you got to town. St. Thomas was our last stop, we were not impressed, there is construction going on at the pier and you need to take a taxi ($4.00pp) into town or walk about 2.0 miles. WE again took a tour and went to Megan's Beach and Blackbeard's castle. I would cruise again and I would cruise RCI, they have adult only nightclubs and pools. If you wanted in room movies at night they were very expensive. I think 11.95 (WOW). The best thing is a balcony cabin, some people say you don't need it. IT WAS GREAT. We were able to watch the islands appear and watch the ship dock, it was great. If you have never cruised before it might take you a day or so to get your "cruise balance", I grew up on boats and it took a day or so to get use to it. Disembarking was a breeze, no problems, only have to wait a few minutes for your group to go through. We got stuck in San Juan 2 extra days because of the snow in New England, guest relations on the ship was wonderful helping us find a hotel in San Juan. Happy Cruising and I hope this helps, you can email me with any questions, just put cruise ?? in the subject line.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean