3. Adventure of the Seas
We (Deb and Jack from Massachusetts) cruised to the Southern Caribbean during the week of February 5, 2006. This was our third cruise, and our second with Royal Caribbean. Since we had already had the experience of a cabin with a balcony, it was a must for us again. The Adventure of the Seas is a beautiful and extraordinarily large ship. Although the ship had approximately 3,000 passengers on board, it rarely seemed crowded. Skip to comments section at the end of this review to find out if we would sail on this ship again. Pre-night in San Juan: We stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan. I suggest that a pre-night is a must if you live in the snowy northeast like we do, and I would recommend the Sheraton. It was a clean, quiet hotel. It has a small casino too. Arriving at Airport in San Juan: We booked our own air arrangements and arrived in San Juan around 3 pm, without any trouble at all. Getting on the ship: (embarking) was very smooth. The sail departure time was 10 p.m., but we were allowed on the ship at 1 p.m. and our cabin was ready by 2 p.m. Cabins: Our cabin was very nice! Two twin beds were made into a king-size bed and it was very comfortable. The room was attractive and very clean. Again, the balcony was well worth the extra price. We often sat outside just enjoying the rolling sea. Sliding doors were kept open at night to appreciate the sound of the ocean waves. Our cabin was very private (7th deck). The bathroom was rather small, and the shower was even smaller. Please note that there is no iron in the cabin and no iron to be requested at all. Alcohol on Board: While we didnt bring alcohol on board with us, we know that others did without a problem. Room Service: Very efficient. Must remember to have cash available for tipping. Breakfast and Lunch Buffets: Once the breakfast buffet ends, the lunch begins. Breakfast was open until 11:30 and lunch began at Noon and lasted until 3 p.m. There is always something to eat! Dinner Buffet: We decided not to attend dinners in the main dining room and ate at the Windjammer Cafe instead. There was a buffet offered each night from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. The items varied and the desserts were magnificent! Best Desserts and Sandwiches: Promenade Café served great food just about around the clock. Singles and Children: There didnt seem to be many children on this cruise. Those that I did see were well behaved. Average Age Range: I would guess there were mostly couples or families with small children on board. The average age range would have been 30's through 60'sis my best guess. Wheelchair Access: Must be okay because I saw a couple of people wheeling all around the ship. Cruise Activities: There were a lot of activities to do. There was also plenty of time to relax. We spent time doing more of the latter. Ports of Call  Oranjestad, Aruba: We took the half-day jeep safari and enjoyed it. Willemstad, Curacao: We went to Mambo beach and the water was crystal clear. It was our day in the sun. Philipsburg, St. Maarten: We took an island tour, which we enjoyed. Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas: Here we took an island tour, which was nice. We also took an excursion called Screamin Eagle, a speedboat ride. The speedboat ride is the only thing we did and would not recommend. It was priced too high for the 45 minutes. We did another speed boat ride last time we were in St. Thomas, so we did have something to compare this one to. Bars: We were in and out of most bars at one point or another. None stand out as extraordinary. The shops on board were your basic expensive jewelry and clothing stores and some souvenir and variety store. I am not much of a shopper, so stores dont impress me. Cruise Staff: All were very polite and friendly. Cabin Steward: We saw him in the hallways and he always said hello. Our cabins were cleaned twice a day and the animals made from towels were a bit hard to figure out. Deck Service: I dont think there were as many wait staff around, as I would have liked. Casino: We did spend too much time in there (sigh), making our donation to somebodys bank account, but not our own! Dont expect free drinks when you gamble like in the U.S. Ship Cleanliness: Excellent. Deck Space: There were plenty of chairs to lounge in and always plenty of room to sit. The one thing noticeable missing were tables. There were no tables in between chairs on the decks by the pools. Disembarking (leaving the ship): Everybody has a color code and that determines when you will leave the Ship. You have black luggage? So do we and 1,000 other people! It was easy to find though. Be sure to put some bright yarn or ribbon on your luggage. Disembarking went smoothly. Stabilization: Our cabin was in the middle of the ship and we rarely noticed the ship moving. Telephone Service and Internet Connections: There is an internet room and the cost is 50 cents per minute. It was up and running 24 hours per day. Our cell phone did not work while cruising and the cost to make a call on board was almost $7.50 per minute. Plan to keep in touch via email, if possible! Overall Cruise Comments: The Adventure of the Seas met our expectations, but it was almost identical to the Voyager of the Seas. Evidently, all of the Voyager class ships are like that. We are planning to cruise again in the future, and would consider another Royal Caribbean ship, but not the Voyager class. We would like to experience different types of ships. I prefer the Eastern Caribbean itinerary to the Western or Southern Caribbean because it was more exotic looking. The islands we visited on this trip were a mixture of what Ive seen on eastern and western caribbean trips. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. Our goal for this cruise was to relax, see new places, and meet new people. That we did do. I loved our cabin, the food, the people we met, and I loved the experience of sailing the seas again. If you have any questions about my review or experience, please feel free to email me and Ill happily respond to all. Happy cruising!

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by dw3333

Room Service: Very efficient. Must remember to have cash available for tipping.
Philipsburg, St. Maarten: We took an island tour, which we enjoyed.
Cruise Staff: All were very polite and friendly.
Ship Cleanliness: Excellent.