3. Adventure of the Seas
My husband and I had each been on cruise ships before, but not together, and not in some years (he spent a year working on a cruise ship so was a bit hesitant to return). Overall, the Adventure of the Seas trip was a good one for both of us. We were pleased with the ease of arrival, transportation, and check-in when we reached San Juan. We had pre-paid transfer vouchers, and it could not have gone more smoothly. We arrived in our exterior room with a balcony (I had really debated about spending that much for a balcony, but ended up using it a lot and loved seeing sunrises and sunsets from bed) and were pleased with the size and cleanliness of our room. The first night we dined at Portofino and had an almost flawless experience. I was disappointed with the white chocolate mousse dessert (it tasted slightly stale and not very flavorful) but we loved everything else we sampled that night and between four of us, had just about everything on the menu. Going the first night (thanks to Cruise Critic research) was a great choice because two other couples we knew who waited were unable to get in. The first day I toured the spa (a bit of a heavy sell -- I just wanted to look around) and took a cursory tour of the shops on board. We did not take advantage of the entertainment this night, or much of the entertainment offered on board, in part because it didnt appeal to us, but also due to awkward times. For example, I would have liked to have gone to the comedy show on the last night, but not at 7 p.m. With the later seating at dinner, I would have preferred to see the show after dinner, but thats just me. We opted for a snorkeling excursion in Aruba (through the ship) and enjoyed the Pelican Tours snorkel and sail trip. Our main complaint was that it was overbooked and made it very crowded on board, and made for a long wait getting in and out of the water. The itinerary, food (barbecue lunch) and music on board were all great. We loved snorkeling the shipwrecked Antilla. In Curacao we just hopped in a taxi with two other couples and got a two-hour tour of the island, then went back to see some high points ourselves. We really liked this island. In St. Maarten we took a bus to the French side (again using cruisecritic BB advice) and poked around Marigot. Found a great bakery, then headed to Orient Beach for a lovely day in the sun on comfy cushioned chairs. In St. Thomas we caught a taxi to Magens Bay, then returned to town for lunch at Gladys and some shopping. Another great day. We spent our days at sea napping, lounging by the pool, working out, and reading. We loved the champagne bar. I asked for a tour of the kitchen (a galley tour to them) and although my waiter said they had been discontinued, the head waiter let me know one was already scheduled for an at-sea day. I really enjoyed that. I think on this ship, and any RCL ship, if you are interested in something, ask. All they can say is no, and they are more likely to try and accommodate you than turn you down. This ship was so huge that it had many amenities were did not take advantage of; the skating rink, in-line skating, the rock wall, multiple dancing and singing shows, massage classes, salsa lessons, a cooking demonstration, shuffle board, and more. What we really needed was quality time doing¬hing. We got that. The balcony helped me escape the loud bustling areas when I needed to, but when we wanted to watch people, listen to live music, or be social, we had many chances for that as well. We didnt have a single problem with the friendliness of the staff. One bartender was on the slow side, and since our waiter had recently been promoted, it seemed like we were the last table served every night. However, he was very personable and we liked him a lot. High points: the Rasul spa treatment, free fitness classes, the champagne bar on the fifth floor, a balcony room, pre-paid tips and transfer vouchers to and from the airport, and checking our luggage as we stepped off the ship. Low points: Slow food service in the main dining room, sub-par fresh fruit at breakfasts, breakfast food in the Windjammer was overall just ok. Food on the last night was underwhelming, but overall, food was very good, but not great.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean