3. Coral Princess
We arrived in Anchorage early to see the sights there. We, as in my husband, 2 children ages 2 & 7, my mother-in-law & father-in-law & sister-in-law. The Best Western at Shipcreek-awesome salmon in the creek, fishing right there, you can rent gear. The rooms were nice, but walk in closet is a joke. We were there only a few minutes when we received a call, we were too loud, try keeping 2 children under control after sitting on a van for over 2 hours & they were so excited about finally being there. Needless to say we spent our trip trying to hush our kids. My suggestion would be to make certain levels/areas for families & leave the couples on honeymoon & elderly people not used to excited kids on vacation in an area away from noisy families. Princess offered the cruise as family friendly & I have to laugh at that statement & have set my friends saving for this trip to look else where for family friendly. The indoor pool was adult only most of the day. Now it was not a kid friendly pool since the kids could not touch bottom to begin with, but trying to find a time when it was not nap time or bed time (even then we were chased out for the teen party) was very hard & frustrating. By the way yes there are outdoor pools, but when cruising it was windy & too cool to swim outside. The lady in the boutique was very rude to my crying 2 year old daughter, telling her to hush, while I had to stand in line for 10 minutes waiting to make my purchase, while another sales lady stood at her register looking busy not waiting on people. Our room steward was very nice, but we did not feel pampered. The shows were great. The food was really good, dessert lacked taste. The wait to get on & off the boat was awful. Especially in the rain in Ketchikan. Make sure to pack rain ponchos, they come in handy! We were on board on the 4th of July, however it was not celebrated other than, cakes sat out on display, wait staff wore red, white & blue attire & the show that evening had a title about all American. What a disappointment to us. What truly made our trip the most wonderful, once in a life time experience was the beautiful sites we saw a long the way narrated by the most informative, entertaining person on the bot, Barbara, the Naturalist. Make sure to set aside the time to go to her talks & tune in to her when possible. I doubt we will ever use Princess Cruise Lines again, but Barbara made us forget how awful other parts of our cruise was. Oh, yeah I won't forget to say the staff working with the kids in the Princess Pelicans were awesome also. They made my son's trip enjoyable & memorable. The excursions were very nice, Skagway the Yukon, White Pass train up to the summit is a must. Juneau- Mendenhall Glacier is wonderful, we did the Hatchery, glacier, salmon bake combo, skip the hatchery & do a trip out to the Glacier. However the salmon bake was absolutely the best! The food was good, but the rain forest was so beautiful. You can walk up to see a gold mine entrance, a waterfall that will take your breath away & many beautiful trees, flowers & sights. Ketchikan we walked around town, my in laws were treated to a cruise around town with Classic tours (I booked this on my own from an ad in AAA book) & they loved it! Upon departure in Vancouver we had to wait for a cab- make arrangements ahead of time- we stayed at the Holiday Inn- AWFUL!!! the elevator is tiny & you will wait 30 minutes or more to get all your bags upstairs. Stay on the water, Grandville Island is a must. All in all we had a good time, but feel that Princess could have made the trip more enjoyable for our family by taking the adults only signs on the indoor pool down & making a more family friendly atmosphere. I believe the brochures & print available is misleading & does not state areas are adults only. My children were charged the same price as adults, discounts given to # of people, not ages. Therefore we should not have to put ourselves in the position to upset fellow passengers by being in restricted area, Princess should not have the signs up period! Again, memories of a life time was made, but Princess did not do their job in providing my family the vacation of a lifetime. We would have to think really hard before using Princess Cruise lines again.

Coral Princess - Alaska