3. Celebrity Millennium
A little background. I'm in my late 30s and my husband is in his early 50s. This was our 5th cruise - 1st on Celebrity. We had planned this trip for about 18 months and it turned out to be everything we had expected and more. We flew into Barcelona via Frankfurt from Vancouver to enjoy two nights pre-cruise at the Atrium Palace in Barcelona (Great hotel....beds a little hard, but a great location). Barcelona is a wonderful city and I highly recommend spending some extra time there if possible. The hop on/off bus is a great deal. Embarkation....a breeze. We filled out the XPress pass and the whole thing from start to finish was about 10 minutes before we were boarding. Our Cabin...WOW...how do you beat an FV? We had 7199 and just loved it. We didn't want to give it up. The cabin was great and the deck was to die for. Millennium....She was in pretty good shape. She is going into drydock in another week or so, but on the whole, she's beautiful. I really like the M class ships, they're such a great size and so elegant. Probably the nicest ship we've sailed on. Staff.... Excellent. Our cabin attendant Nemia was awesome. She's definitely the best we've had in five cruises. The waiters were good but not the best. Everyone we encountered was really friendly and helpful. Entertainment: Can't comment. We didn't attend one show. This was such a port intensive itinerary that we didn't do any late nights. Food: I'm a bit torn on this. I was expecting more. We only ate in the dining room about half the time...we were a little peeved to have not received our table for two that we asked for 18 months in advance. Do they really need Sweetbreads on the menu? I mean with only four or five selections...does anyone order Quail, Squab and Sweetbreads? I'm not that picky of an eater and there was one night when I wanted absolutely nothing on the menu, not a appetizer, soup, salad or entree. The Olympic was excellent. Well worth the $30 per person. Ports: Villefranche: We had a private tour with Sylvie who is amazing. In my opinion it was the best private tour we did, although Daniele in Rome came very close. We visited Nice, St. Paul de Venice, Eze, Monaco & Monte Carlo. Livorno/Florence/Pisa: Private tour with Driver in Rome. Another very good day. You saw the herds of cruise ship tours and just groaned. Private Tours are the only way to go. A word of advise on shopping: I'm kicking myself for not stocking up on scarves at the San Lorenzo Market. We were buying lovely silk scarves for around 4 or 5 Euro...some were even 3 for 10 Euro. Everywhere else the exact same ones were 15 - 20 Euro each. Rome: Private Tour with Daniele from Driver in Rome. We saw so much and had to do very little walking. Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Coliseum, St. Peters. Even the Pope! Naples: We elected to take the ferry ourselves to Capri. Very easy to do. It was about a 40 minute trip. Capri is lovely to just walk around and have a leisurely lunch. A beautiful island. Next time we'll do the Amalfi Coast. SEA DAY: Yeah!! Finally some rest. We hung out on our deck most of the time and read. A lot of people get burned out on this cruise, so we really tried to relax and not do much on sea days. Mykonos: Lovely island, better prices than Santorini for jewelry, etc. Very windy though. As soon as you leave the protection of the little winding streets we were getting blown to pieces. We ate at Nicks Taverna and it was great. The best greek salad we've ever had. Athens: A private tour this time with Spiros, only he wasn't our driver, it was Michael. A good day. We visited the Acropolis, Temple of Zeus, changing of the guard, 45 minutes in the Plaka and then out to Cape Sounion for the Temple of Poseidon. We really liked having a private tour, but with three adults in the back of the taxi, they were feeling a bit cramped. Santorini....WOW....what a lovely island. We checked out of the Donkeys and elected to take the cable car up. We looked around Fira a while and then took the noonish bus out to Oia. Do not miss Oia. This is such a lovely town and where all the pictures are taken of the white churches and the blue roofs. Just walk around for a couple of hours...it's beautiful. We then took the bus back to Fira and made our way back to the ship. Another Sea Day...Yeah..more rest. Dubrovnik. This was the first day on the cruise we woke up to rain..and it was pouring! We waited an hour or so before deciding just to do it and take the Tender in. After about 45 minutes of walking around the town the rain let up. Dubrovnik's old town is a lovely walled city. We wish we'd have walked the walls but when we first arrived they would have been very wet and windy and then later we were laden down with purchases. Go to Mea Culpa for pizza - it's excellent. Venice...what can I say about Venice...just thinking about it makes my heart skip. It is the most beautiful city I've ever been to. We just loved it. We arrived around noon and decided to skip the ship's transfer to St. Marks. We'd arranged Venice Cards before we left with a three day Vaporetto pass. So we found our way to Piazza Roma to pick up our passes and board the #1 Vaporetto for our trip down the Grand Canal...what a way to first see Venice. It was lovely. We walked and walked as far as our legs would carry us the first day and dis some planning as to where our Hotel was located for when we disembarked. Disembarkation: Again, a breeze. Very well organized. We left around 9:30 - 9:40 as we weren't going home we had two nights post cruise in Venice. We picked up our luggage with no problem and then got in the line to organize a water taxi. You can't just go out and hail one, you reserve and pay and then go out and board with your group when your number is called. They try and put you into groups so split the cost. We paid 50 Euro a couple. We had three couples all going to different hotels. If you're all going to the same hotel I think it was around 30 Euro per couple. Venice....post cruise....ah....We made our way to the Westin Europa Regina which I had booked on points. We were so lucky to be upgraded to a Junior Suite overlooking the Grand Canal. It was such a lovely hotel and our room was amazing. Back to exploring (shopping)! Again, we walked and walked....ate Pizza and Panini's standing at counters..don't sit down unless you want to pay triple. We will definitely be back to Venice. Our hotel had a shuttle to the airport for 50 Euro a couple which we took. It was just a water taxi, but cheaper than booking one yourself. Once at the airport don't get a porter unless you want to pay 5 Euro a bag (which can really add up). We paid 1 Euro for a luggage cart and walked the 7 minutes ourselves. Random Notes: If you like scarves...buy them off the street in Barcelona or at the market in Florence...way cheaper. Santorini had some beautiful one's too, but they are expensive, so if you need cheap gifts, florence is excellent. Florence market had some great deals.... lovely leather, silk ties for 5 Euro and millions of silk scarves. Italy...eat standing up. Sit down and the price goes sky high. Eat lots of Gelato...yum! Mykonos is cheaper than Santorini for shopping. Venetian glass...Real Venetian glass is cheaper on the ship than in Venice. I bought a necklace that was $82 us on the ship and 129 Euro in Venice. Also be careful of cheap chinese glass. We were warned numerous times about glass around the Rialto Bridge. There is a lovely little shop about two block west? of San Marks called FGB where she makes and designs her own jewelry, she had great prices...I bought six pairs of earrings. Stay and extra day or two in the embarkation and disembarkation ports...it makes a huge difference. Private Tours are the way to go...make friends on Cruise Critic and put groups together. People were exhausted after Rome, I don't think we walked more than a block. Do the Hop on/off bus in Barcelona, it gives you a great overview of the city into sites you'd never see otherwise. Go to the Med. You won't be sorry!

Millennium - Western Mediterranean

Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Cruise Junky

Ports:
Another Sea Day...Yeah..more rest.
Disembarkation:
Random Notes:
Italy...eat standing up. Sit down and the price goes sky high.
Eat lots of Gelato...yum!
Mykonos is cheaper than Santorini for shopping.
Go to the Med. You won't be sorry!
Cruise Junky’s Full Rating Summary