3. Splendour of the Seas
Overall this was a great cruise. I was travelling with my mother who is handicapped and my niece who just turned 20. Service. The service was excellent. We got a great cabin steward, waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. Our head waiter really pitched in and did as much work as the waiters. He was friendly and helped us tremendously especially my mom who had trouble getting up from the chair. Housing. The cabin was a nice size even for three. I think it was considered a suite. Rooms in general on ships are small but it was a nice size with plenty of storage space for clothing and the room had a safe for valuables. It was the type that you program to lock and unlock with a credit card, nice especially if you don't want to carry all valuables with you. Dining. The food was good. I have cruised Norwegian, and Carnival. I would put them on par with Carnival. Norwegian had more menu choices at dinner and an midnight buffet every night. This cruise had themed dinners every night to feature the local cuisine and one midnight chefs buffet. They also had a list of five entrees that they served every night that were tasty basics if you did not like the regular choices. One nice thing about the menu was they had codes for different dietary options on the menu, like vegetarian or lower calorie/more balanced options. We had a waiter who was good at asking you questions and helping you decide what to order and if you did not like anything he would make sure you got a second choice quickly. Like the other cruise lines there was also casual dining available during all meal times, on this ship casual(buffet) dining was on the pool deck. Open seating for Breakfast and lunch in the dining room and assigned times and tables for dinner. Entertainment. The entertainment was good. Not terrific but good. There were shows every night. I saw two and both were good but as someone who lives in Chicagoland and takes advantage of shows like the Lion King it was not spectacular. Young Adult Options. They had a good alcohol policy. You had the option of setting the rules for your 18 - 21 year old and what alcohol they could consume; options ranged from no alcohol to allowing them beer and wine. Concerns. Some of the male crew members seemed a little inappropriate toward the 16 - 21 year old girls. I observed male crew members getting touchy feely with some teens in one of the popular fitness areas, another asking 16-17 year old girls to buy him presents in the next port and another flirting a girl using some semi-explicit language. I assumed cruise lines were better at teaching staff members about how to treat young guests appropriately and had strict boundaries. I guess not. If you have a teen daughter, have a talk with her about how adult males should behave and maybe think about a self-defense course or a loud whistle.

Splendour of the Seas - Western Mediterranean