3. Oosterdam
This was our 5th cruise overall, 3rd one on HAL. My husband and I are in our mid 50s,married 38 years. My brother and wife the same age, married for 37 years. We drove to Port from Oregon. My brother and His wife flew NW from TN, with no problems. The cruise was 09/17 to 09/24, last cruise of the season. Have to congratulate the Oosterdam and her captain on a wonderful cruise, despite 24 hours of rough seas (25 to 35 foot seas) at the start of the cruise. The seas were so rough, that 7 TVs fell on the floor in the staterooms one night. There were a lot of people sea sick one day, I stayed fine on Bonine. We had rain the first day or two and then the skies were blue and sunny and the sea was calm for the rest of the cruise. Rain is usually the norm for Alaska in fall. The captain decided to forgo Hubbard glacier (and more rough seas), and instead visit Glacier National Park---- What a wonderful surprise !!! Words can not describe the beauty of seeing the glaciers for the first time. We visited Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC, and had 2 days of sea days. We are not party animals, but enjoy the relaxation of the sea and visiting new places. I am a semi-retired RN and my husband works full-time and has his own business. Sitka was our favorite, we saw whales, eagles and even 3 black bears. We did our own land tours. We just walked off the ship and booked with one of the local tours and had a great time. If you are into kayaks, Sitka looks like the place to do it. A cruise to Alaska is more expensive, but well worth it. There are ways to save expenses and still have a good time. Do your own tours, bring your own alcohol, avoid soda pop for a week and realize that Alaska scenery is there for free. Thanks again Captain for the wonderful and safe cruise. HAL is for you if you want a refined, beautiful ship, with large nice staterooms, a crew that are eager to please, and food that is great.

Oosterdam - Alaska