3. Navigator of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas review Sail date - Sept. 24th, 2005 Itinerary - Eastern Caribbean Our info. My wife and I are in our Mid 30s our son is 2.5 years. Number of past cruises 12+ Intro -- My wife and I have cruised many times in the past, 4 times with RCL, Grander, Voyager, and Explorer of the Seas so we were pretty familiar with the Navigators' layout given we were on 2 other sister ships. This was our second cruise with our son, the first one being on HAL Zuiderdam last December. We opted for 2 connecting rooms this time rather than one large suite so when our son went down for bed, we could go in the other room and not disturb him. We a suite on the Zuiderdam and although it was big, it was still one large room so when he went down for the night, we had to tip toe around so we didn't wake him. Our rooms were 9520 and 9518. A unique set up given one room had a balcony and one only a port whole, but they had a connecting door between them. Cruise Highs -- Given we were traveling with a 2 year old, we didn't go to the formal dining room, instead we ate in the windjammer cafe most of the time. The service in there was great and we usually didn't have a problem finding a place to sit. Especially for dinner since most of the people were in the main dining room. Our room steward 'group' was excellent and provided great service. They were great to our son and very quick cleaning up the room. The reason I put group down was because it is no longer one person that handles your cabin, rather a group of people which makes things much more efficient. The activities on board were very good even for our 2.5 year old. I was surprised they had activities for his age group. He couldn't go into the regular kids programs, but they did have activities for the parents and children which was nice. The overall condition of the ship was good, however, they had one stairway closed for the entire cruise for maintenance. Not a huge deal, but I would hate to be in one of the cabins close to it because the glue fumes were terrible. Ports of call were ok. We had been to them many times in the past so we didn't do much besides a little shopping. We preferred to stay on board and go to the pool given there were very few people there on port days. This is an unusual thing to mention, but the medical facilities on board were excellent. Our son came down with a respiratory problem and they did a great job at treating him and had everything he needed. It reminded me of a small hospital with separate patient rooms and dr offices. Cruise Lows -- Of course there were some. To start, the embarkation process was horrible or at least, much worse than we remember. We are use to cruise lines staggering the boarding process where the start boarding around 11:00ish until the time the ship leaves. Not this time. Instead, everyone waits outside until 2:00pm in a giant line and they open the doors and attempt to board 3800 passengers in 3 hours. If you happen to be at the end of the line, I have no doubt it would take 3 hours to get on board especially if you didn't do the sign and sail process beforehand. We did arrive around 2:00pm to find a huge line and as we were walking to the back past all of the upset people that have been waiting since 11:00 in the Florida heat, they opened a second set of doors and it only took us an hour and a half to get checked in which was not great, but I really feel for the people that showed up at 11:00 and had to not only wait in line until 2:00, but also had to wait another 2-3 hours to get checked in. Not to dwell on this one issue, but on the 12+ cruises we have been on, this was the worst check in process to date. Not sure where RCCL came up with this one. The food was also not very good. I admit, I really don't expect gourmet food on RCCL, but it seemed unusually bad this time. Usually the Windjammer is at least on par with the main dining room because it is a lot of the same type of food, but this time it really seemed pre packaged for lack of a better way of describing it. It seemed like the had big bags of pre-made food in the back and they were just sticking it in the microwave and dumping it into the troughs. Luckily they had an oriental area within the windjammer which had pretty good food. I pretty much ate that all week. The liquor policy was just stupid. You obviously couldn't buy it in the on board liquor store and take it back to the room. I had already read that, but there wasn't any liquor, beer or wine in the minibar which made no sense to me. You also couldn't order a bottle off the in room menu, you had to order individual drinks. Not sure what the reasoning was other than get you out of your room?? If you wanted a drink, you basically had to go down to a bar and bring it back to your room or order one off the menu and wait 30 minutes to get it. Can't quite figure out why this new policy came about. Summary -- Overall, it was a good trip, but I got the feeling that RCCL is going a little 'down hill' for lack of a better way of describing our experience. Nothing major, we just didn't have as good of a time as we have had on other RCCL cruises. Maybe it was just an off cruise for us.

Navigator of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean