3. Splendour of the Seas
This was my 11th cruise and also my HONEYMOON. I had read such negative reviews on the Splendour that I was nicely surprised once I got on board. The ship didn't look worn or old to me. We had a large oceanview stateroom. The size is basically the same as the interior room but the oceanview really does make a difference. About the food, good not great. The dining room staff as always was excellent. Our assistant waiter Carlos was exceptional. The Windjammer is nothing more than typical buffet style. Our first port was Marseille, there is no need for any shore excursions there. When we got there it was a Sunday and all the shops were closed, so we went to Notre Dame cathedral, very nice. Marseille was not very impressive. The second port of call was Villefranche, which was beautiful. We split up our day and went to Nice first which was very beautiful. Then we made our way back to the ship had lunch and then headed out to Monte Carlo . I would have rather spent more of the day in Nice had I known Monte Carlo would be such a disappointment. I anticipated more. We also had enough time to walk around Villefranche for a bit, very beautiful and quaint little town . There is no need for shore excursion here, it would be a rip off because you can use the public bus for 1.5 Euros to Nice each way and be there in 15 to 20 minutes. Also from Nice you can take the bus directly to Monaco for about 3 Euros. Our third day we were in Livorno which on that day (and also in Rome) I highly recommend a tour. We were determined to book nothing with through the ship because through experience you know the ship rips you off. We got lucky and met a family of 4 outside looking to rent a taxi so we shared the cost at about 130 Euros for each couple. The driver dropped us off near the Duomo (WHICH IS THE CENTER) and then left us for about 5 hours or so then met up back at the same place as drop off. He then took us to Pisa. In Pisa you need no more than 30-45 minutes. There's not much to do there but take some pictures. There was also a free shuttle bus that takes you to the train station that takes about 90 minutes to get to the center of Florence. It just seemed too exhausting and also didn't think we would have enough time in Florence and also make it to Pisa. We also heard from other passengers that did use the public transportation that it was very exhausting. I'm 32 and my husband is 27, this trip is exhausting, you get to see a lot but you come home needing a vacation form your vacation. On the next day we were in Rome, we got very lucky and met up with the same family again and agreed to share the cost again. When we got off the ship and approached the taxis they were quoting us at 600 Euros which seems like a rip off, just yesterday we paid 400 for the whole day. By accident I noticed a private driver holding a sign up for a passenger that had prereserved him, so I went over to ask him if the 600 Euro price was reasonable or not. He told me that it should be no more than 450 Euros for a full 10 hour day. Turns out he was double booked by accident and offered his services for the day. Amazing experience, he was excellent, very knowledgeable on all of Rome, he took us everywhere,with full historical descriptions of everything. It makes a big difference when you walk around if you know what you're looking at and if you don't know. I strongly, strongly recommend you prereserve him before you start your trip. He was also very, very nice. He took tons of pictures for us and suggested a great place for lunch right by the Spanish steps (NINOS). He also is one of the two partners of the company so of course his service was excellent being that it;s his own company. His name is Carlo and the website is www.romeinlimo.com. You will not regret this. The money is well spent and it will change your whole experience of Rome. The cruise offers their own version of what we did and charges something lie $350 per person (crazy) In Naples we went to Pompeii by train which the same train line takes you to Sorrento. We got very tired, I had already been to Pompeii but my husband didn't and he wanted to . It's a great place to visit once. We later made our way back to Naples for some authentic Napolitan pizza, which they are famous for . There was a great spot like 2 blocks off the port (can't remember the name) HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!!!

Splendour of the Seas - Western Mediterranean