3. Norwegian Spirit
My husband and I as well as my parents cruised on Norwegian Spirit from 9/3-9/10 to Alaska. This was our third cruise, my parents first. Our first two cruises were in the Caribbean, one with Carnival and one with Royal Caribbean. Embarkation: This was absolutely the best and smoothest transition we ever encountered. All of the embarkation staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We arrived at the port at 11:20 am and we were in our room at 12:15. UNBELIEVABLE. Everything went very quickly. Kudos to NCL for mastering this normally frustrating process. Rooms: We upgraded at the last minute to a balcony cabin, and I will advise if it is anywhere remotely possible, get a balcony!!!! There is so much beautiful scenery in Alaska and the public rooms with windows are very crowded and it is difficult to get a seat by the windows. Most of the trip it is pretty cold to be out on the deck, so having a balcony was GREAT!!! We would go out to get pictures, and then come back into the warm cabin. And let me just say the scenery in Alaska is FANTASTIC. Dining: The food was comparable to Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and pretty good. This is totally personal preference, but hubby and I really missed the assigned dinner times of our other cruises. We loved having the same waiter and tablemates every night on our other two cruises. We came to the realization that freestyle dining is not for us. The dining staff was good, but we just missed the "event" that dinner was on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. We felt rushed to get done. Entertainment: I have to be honest, we weren't very impressed with the shows. They had one 'greased lightning' that was okay. The comedians were excellent however. Ketchikan: We went over to Creek Street, did some shopping and then watched the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show, which by the way is totally worth it. We really enjoyed it. Juneau: We took the free shuttle into town and then took a bus to Mendenhall glacier ($10) per person roundtrip. We did this on our own, did not book ahead. Very easy, no hassle. The bus driver gave us lots of history on Juneau on the way there (about 20 min. drive), which we really enjoyed. Mendenhall glacier was beautiful and hubby really enjoyed all the hiking trails and exploring. Skagway: We rented a car from Avis (called and booked ahead). This went very smoothly. Very easy short walk from pier to town. We then drove to Emerald Lake. And yes, it is amazing!!!!! The most beautiful scenery I think I have ever seen. We saw a black bear with three cubs, otters, seals, snow-capped mountains, amazing lakes, and trees beginning to change color. On the way back we stopped at the small town of Carcross and looked around, got some brochures. Make sure you have ID if you do this drive, because you do travel into Canada. Then on the way back we stopped at a gold dredge tour, learned about the gold rush, gold dredges, history of Skagway, and even got to do some gold panning. All in all, a great day. Prince Rupert: We took the Northcoast Explorer train. Very pretty scenery, very smooth ride, commentator gave us lots of information. Stopped at a cannery along the way and got some of the history on fishing in the area. A nice trip, but wouldn't do that again for $95/person. Definitely overpriced. Our two favorite areas of the ship was Galaxy of the Stars which was a semi-circular room with windows all the way around to look out and Windows restaurant. Alaska is really beautiful. It was pretty cold when we went so I would recommend bringing things to layer. Hubby brought long johns and was perfectly warm the whole week. The pool is heated and believe it or not, people were in the pool occasionally throughout the week. Yes, including me. The hot tubs were great too. All in all, a great trip.

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska