Celebrity Summit Cruise Review

Summit - Alaska

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Foots

• Sail Date: Sep 2005
  • Destination: Alaska

Our cruise on the Summit was sensational. Our room was really nice and had a balcony that we requested. It was fairly long and narrow but we could get around our king size bed! The service was top notch, from our stateroom attendant Nelson, to our waiters, Owen and Kusuma, to the assistant maitre d', Cecilita.

While the food in the main dining room was average, the presentation and the service was excellent. We did dine in the Normandie and I would definitely rate it a five star restaurant.

I enjoyed five wonderful massages, the last being a stones massage. I have never felt so good in my life. I also took advantage of the therapeutic pool, whirlpool, and steam room. My husband loved the track on the top deck and the exercise room as he is in training for a marathon. The buffet food was really very good, especially for being open 24/7.

I partook in the library called BOOKS and also checked my email periodically in the internet cafe.

We did go to two of the shows, both musicals, and loved the Summit's singers and dancers. The did quite a nice job. We were unable to make it to see the ladder man, once because of the need for an early night, and the second time he appeared, we were dining in the Normandie.

We did go to two of the shows, both musicals, and loved the Summit's singers and dancers. They did quite a nice job. We were unable to make it to see the ladder man, once because of the need for an early night, and the second time he appeared, we were dining in the Normandie.

Our excursions were first rate even though we only booked one through Celebrity. We did hear of all the other excursions that we took on Cruise Critic. Our most favorite was the Dog Sledding/Helicopter on the Glacier trip, next being Whale Watching, next being the Forest Tram at Icy Straits. The only excursion we were disappointed with was the float plane trip to Misty Fjords, but only the weather was to blame for that. Our pilot was superb, even though we all turned green a few times with the rough winds and rain, we did see spectacular waterfalls, eagles, and the mist in fjords.

Celebrity went one step further and I must say that it was the best part of the trip. We took a five day land trip with Royal Celebrity and believe me when I say that it was fabulous. Our cruise director was Cole and our Coach driver was Spiff. Both were nicknames that they assumed at a camp for disabled. Cole was Nicole and Spiff was Sean. We later learned that they were a couple and had been together for six years. They were both excellent at their jobs.

Along with the tour, we found them both to be extremely knowledgeable about Alaska, it's people, it's wildlife, and it natural resources. We were so impressed. We toured Fairbanks with excursions to Riverboat Discovery and Panning for Gold which I thought was going to be really hokey, but it was first rate. I could wait until the next day after that. Also on the riverboat tour we stopped to meet famous Iditarod winner Susan ?'s and her husband who also races in the Iditarod Dog sled race. We saw their home and dog training facility along with a demonstration of how the dogs learn to run, an Indian village and fish camp, and a float plane exhibition. Our next stop was a trip to the train where we were in the first two cars that hosted huge leather seats, wonderful dome windows, and fabulous food and service in the dining car.

After 4 hours on the train, we arrived in Denali National Park and began our 6-8 hour tour of the park. We unfortunately had to ride the park's contracted bus (not a coach-the difference being a bathroom, ac, heat, etc), but to our good fortune we had Jerilynn, who was not only our bus drive, but also an excellent guide, and story teller extraordinaire! We were blessed. We saw wonderful scenery, eight grizzly bear (pretty far away), a bull moose ( a bit closer), caribou (grazing about 20 yards away), eagles, probably fifty or more doll sheep ( so far away they are known as LWD's--little white dots) and several coveys of Ptarmigan (state bird that looks like a large quail, is brown in the summer and turns white in the winter and has feathers on its feet) that scurried and fed along the edge of the road. It was really an awesome day, even though the cloud cover would not allow is to view Mt. McKinley aka Denali. We found that most people never get to see it. It is the highest mountain in North America. WOW!

And there was more...We rode the train again to Anchorage. We arrive around 2pm and puttered around the city. We were left to our own devices (we chose the Museum to tour) before we could check in at 6:30. Mind you, that our luggage was picked up outside our rooms and loaded every morning and delivered to our next destination's hotel room that evening prior to arrival. Most of the time Spiff was driving the coach on to the next stop with our luggage while we were on our excursions like the train, etc.

We left Anchorage and headed to Seward. We toured the Indian Museum which was awesome and I wish we had had more time for it, then on to a special stop at a wildlife refuge where we saw big game close up. Grizzly Bears, Black Bears, Caribou, Elk, Bison, Eagles, Horned Owls, Porcupine, two 4 month old moose, and about ten bull moose loosing their velvet. We had a guide from the refuge hop aboard and give us a quick tour and then we got off and got to walk around and take pictures. Superb.

On to Seward and quickly checked in and walk right aboard the exquisite Summit for seven nights. Our tour was Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Talkeetna, Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Straits, and then disembarkment (which was ever so smooth) in Vancouver. The days just flew by. There was so much to do and so much more that I wanted to do. We have already to cruise Hawaii next, hopefully on Celebrity. Celebrity is first class.

Foots's Full Rating Summary