3. Enchantment of the Seas
This cruise was nice in the fact that we didn't have to fly to the initial port. The only problem was that when we arrived at the Naval Business Center in Philly, I thought the luggage crew was very slow in unloading cars and keeping the traffic moving. We waited at least 45 minutes if not longer in sweltering heat. Embarkation went quite smooth after this though. The cabin was what we expected. We have cruised before and know that the rooms are small. It was clean and had many storage areas for our belongings. Let's face it, you don't spend much time in your cabin so it was great for what I needed it for. The beds however, were not very comfortable and were a bit on the low side...a little difficult for a tall or elderly person to get in and out of. Our cabin steward was fantastic and always kept our cabin neat and tidy and was quite adept at making those towel animals (a different one each night I might add). The meals onboard were nothing short of amazing. We ate dinner in the dining room each night and our waiter and his assistant met our needs quickly and efficiently. The entire dining room staff were friendly. The dining room itself was a lovely sight, very elegant. I was most impressed with the Windjammer buffet. The crew went to great lengths to make sure it was well stocked with a variety of foods to please all. This was possibly the neatest and best buffet I have ever seen! We were really not into the shows onboard. Those we did see we enjoyed. The comedians were great, however, their material at times was not appropriate for families who brought young children. The magic show was fantastic and we enjoyed this one very much. The singers and dancers were talented but we left this show as we didn't enjoy the material much...kind of cheesy. We enjoyed the ports of call on the cruise. The only one we didn't really like was Martha's Vineyard. We chose not to do any excursions on this cruise and we found there wasn't much to do here. We also felt that the inhabitants of this island really were trying to gyp the tourists. We thought we might like to rent a jeep to see more of the island itself only to find they were charging $139.00 a day. In Portland we rented a car for $40 including taxes and were fortunate enough to drive to Kennabunkport. This picturesque town was well worth the drive and we would recommend that anyone who is able to get there to do so. Bar Harbor was also lovely and we felt that if we were to miss the boat it wouldn't be such a bad thing to spend more time here. Being Canadian we really enjoyed Halifax. Time was short here which was a real shame. It would almost be worth dumping Martha's Vineyard from the ports of call to spend more time in Halifax. All in all we had a fantastic time. The weather really co operated with no rain in sight. The last day at sea was spent whale and dolphin watching from the deck. I do believe the crew deserve special attention on these ships as it is these special people who really make cruise vacations special so I say to them....WELL DONE!!!

Enchantment of the Seas - Canada/New England