3. Adventure of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas was our first cruise experience. We were not disappointed. The service, from stateroom attendant to dining room waiters to purser's desk was really first-rate. This ship is SO huge. We never felt like we were with a crowd. The ride was rock-solid. Perhaps we were blessed with exceptional weather. I only remember feeling rain twice and those were sea days. It was actually somewhat refreshing. I timed the checkin period. From taxi dropoff to free-roaming the ship took 45 minutes. Our interior stateroom was ready as advertised (2 p.m., I believe) and was quite comfortable for our week-long journey. Being an interior room and having no windows allowed us to recharge our jet-lagged bodies that first night. In fact, I was quite surprised to wake up at 9 a.m. on our first sea day and it felt like I had been sleeping for days. I had to trust my watch to confirm what time and day it happened to be. Safety muster was not prolonged and the first dinner in the dining room was quite a treat. If I have to choose my top cruise-related rave, it has to be the fine dining. At home, we treat ourselves to fine dining only a few times per year. On this cruise, we were treated like royalty on seven of seven nights! Our waiters Raphael and Leilani were just the BEST. Head waiter Gregorio also excelled. On lobster night, Raphael sent my plate back to the kitchen because it didn't meet his standards. To my surprise, I was treated to not one, but two lobster tails... for putting up with the inconvenience for waiting... what?... three more minutes! Ports were fun. We chose to arrange our own fun, hitting Arashi Beach, Aruba (best bus service); Jan Thiel Beach, Curacao; Cinnamon Bay, St. John (best snorkeling). We also taxi toured St. Maarten. Ever seen how a cashew grows? Have a taxi driver stop at a convenient tree and pick one for you. You will be surprised at the elaborate fruit that accompanies every single cashew nut. We were also impressed at the amount of maintenance and late-night cleaning of the ship. There were several nights when we saw the pools drained and completely pressure washed. Also witnessed glove-handed maintenance people wiping down oft-touched surfaces, such as door knobs, chairs, etc. This is an awesome ship and I would happily recommend this voyage to anyone. We must do it again. There was so much to offer that we couldn't possibly have done everything.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean