3. Norwegian Spirit
We, our family of three (with an almost ten year old daughter), flew into Seattle the morning of the cruise and was met at the airport by our driver from Townpointe Limousine..what a great company! We arrived at the ship around 1:00 p.m. and boarded the ship quickly. The Latitudes line was no line at all. We were processed and was checking out our balcony cabin within fifteen minutes. Since we woke up that morning at 3:00 a.m. in SC and lost three hours, we were all pretty tired and looked even worse. But, we freshened up and headed to Raffles for a quick bite to eat. The drill was painless and the fastest I have experienced cruising. Cabin - The cabin seemed small to us at first..with three people, but it grows the longer you are there. The balcony was a must for Alaska, and it was enjoyed throughout the week. During the trip to glacier, we sat outside on the balcony, drank coffee, and ate soup we retrieved from Raffles. Being on the port side of the boat gave us an awesome view. We didn't miss a thing. The bathroom of the cabin was great. The shower was larger than most ships, and the glass door was a nice bonus. The room was always kept clean and stocked with coffee and ice. Restaurants- We ate in Windows, the Garden Room, Raffles and Le Bistro. One night, the kids club had a dinner for the children, so we chose that night to eat in Le Bistro. The chocolate fondue was well worth the extra charge. We had two members of the wait staff to ourselves the entire dinner. We were spoiled. Windows is absolutely beautiful! A couple nights we did sit near the windows, and yes it was a little noisy, but the view made it worth it. The Garden Room is a more intimate atmosphere. The wonderful added bonus to our trip was that the Philadelphia Boys Choir was traveling on our ship. They serenaded the entire group in the Garden Room during our dinner. Now, that is what I call special service! Raffles was the best buffet we have experienced on a cruise ship. The breakfast was wonderful. The last night of our cruise we decided to dress down, pack our bags, and eat dinner in Raffles. This was "italian night" and they had a pasta bar where they cooked your pasta with your chosen ingredients. This was actually pretty good. Entertainment - We didn't catch all of the shows, but we did see Dave Heenan on one night, and we just didn't "get" his humor. But, we saw Adam Ace both nights. OH MY GOSH...I laughed so hard at his shows I hurt! When we saw that he was also going to be participating in the "Liars' Club", we had to go. And, he was just as funny then. I hope to see him famous one day. I would love to catch his act again. The only "production" show we saw was "Grease Lightning." Our daughter loves Grease, and so she loved the music. Excursions - In Ketchikan, we saw the Lumberjack Show and shopped the remainder of the time. The show was good, and our daughter really enjoyed it even more than we did. I just loved this town. And, the weather was in the high eighties and beautiful..what a great day. In Juneau, we were on the Mendenhall Glacier and Gardens tour. It was cold and wet that day, and that just took a little away from our excursion. But, that was to be expected. The scenery was breath taking. In Skagway, we did the train and gold dredge tour. The train trip was awesome! The gold dredge was short and not too much of a thrill for me. But, if you have a little one that wants to "pan for gold" this would be a good opportunity. In Prince Rupert...well...it is a good time to stretch your legs. We visited a few of the shops and then walked around town. We enjoyed the walk and the exercise. I agree with Koga...this one will probably not remain on the schedule. Service - The Spirit has this polished and working well. We were pampered and spoiled the entire week. The wait staff remembered our favorite wine by the third night. They knew my daughter loved pasta, soup, and vanilla ice cream. We had the sweetest waitress in Windows, Sonali. She stopped and spoke with us every time we were in the restaurant. She will be going to the Jewel very soon, but if you see her tell her that you heard someone speaking very highly of her. She is just the best. Casino - I do not understand the table games enough to play them, so we stuck with the slot machines. I took the advice of someone on the boards about playing the penny slots with the "train." What fun this was. I would put in my three dollars, and when I was up to ten dollars, cash out, and play that in the quarter slots. It usually worked out this way. So, I walked away about $80 to the good. Not too bad. I am not a big gambler, so this system kept me feeling "quilt free." Well, I think I have said enough for now. You cannot go wrong with the Spirit. I miss her already!

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by DrTigger

• Sail Date: June 2005
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony
You cannot go wrong with the Spirit. I miss her already!
DrTigger’s Full Rating Summary