3. Adventure of the Seas
This was our second cruise with Royal Caribbean. We had a good time, but when compared to our cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas, this cruise was very inferior. First of all, the port was chaos. We will never leave from San Juan again! Not only were the flights expensive, but the pretour at the Marriott Stellaris was a disappointment... San Juan looks run down. It's picturesque in Old San Juan, bur for the most part, it's dirty with too many cars and graffiti. No one seemed to know what they were doing, and since all side conversations were conducted in Spanish, we were clueless as well. Adventure of the Seas, in some ways, reflects the port. Lights were out of wall sconces, band-aids were in the pool, carpets were dirty. This ship was not loved like the Enchantment. Used glasses were laying around everywhere. We felt like this cruise was a practice cruise for new employees. Only our cabin steward greeted me by name (she was wonderful!). It seemed like the dining room was understaffed. While some people may love the immense size of the ship, this vessel was crowded. The Promenade had no windows and was dark, and because it was often the place for entertainment, it was loud. I would not like to have a cabin overlooking this area. I thought the public areas were not arranged to accommodate 3000 passengers. For instance, the Windjammer Cafe usually had 1 side of the buffet closed during meal times, so there were long lines. We never had to wait for anything on our other cruise...and we were always greeted personally. My children liked chocolate milk, and they would get it for them without my saying a word. This crew was entirely different. The greeter in the Windjammer had this annoying bicycle horn in his pocket. and he blew that thing all through breakfast and lunch. I know it seems like I'm a complainer, but this was a completely different experience for us. The level of service that I've enjoyed with RCI was simply not there. There were some positives, however. The entertainment was fabulous, especially the ice show and the singing talents of Cheryl. The food was always served warm and was very good. Toward the end of the sailing, the fruit in the Windjammer was overripe and not as plentiful, but for the most part, it was good. I didn't like having to ask a crew member to toast my bagel, but I imagine they do this to minimize the crowd. The ports were lovely, Aruba being my personal favorite...very clean island. Curacao was not a repeat...filthy and no impressive shopping places. The balcony cabin was a real treat; it was so nice watching us leave ports from a private balcony. I personally wouldn't recommend the Voyager class ships or this particular ship. I wish RCI would come out with some better itineraries and smaller, brighter ships. Bigger is not always better.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean