• Newsletter

First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Dec 2012
Cabin: Large Ocean-View Stateroom

I was uncertain as to what to expect of a cruise, but given the cost as a solo traveller, I expected some luxury, fine dining and excellent service. I wasn't disappointed.

True, the new reservation system for the main dining room was confusing people,including the booking staff, but I was able to take it in stride. I had been advised at least twice to reserve my table in advance(I had opted for open seating at a table for two-no sharing), and as I have dietary allergies I was keen to have that clarified with the kitchen, too. Admittedly, there were a couple of glitches but recovery and compensation by the staff were immediate and gracious.

Of course, people were curious, and some openly sad, that I was travelling alone, but I explained that it was my choice and that I was thoroughly enjoying my own company. I did accept once or twice the kind offers to join others for dinner or dessert, but most often I declined the invitations. The wait staff were most attentive and kind. The Pinnacle and Canaletto restaurants were well worth the extra cost.

Large Ocean-View Stateroom

Cabin DA

Across from crew space but still very quiet. Close to forward and midship elevators. Lots of closet space. Lovely unobstructed oceanview.

previous reviewnext review