• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Longterm Traveler
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jan 2013
Cabin:

Hurtigruten's Classic Antarctica Voyage on the MS Fram (January 11-20, 2013) exceeded my expectations in all regards. I had read most of the reviews I could find online in the process of researching our planned Antarctica trip. Because there were so many choices and I had never heard of Hurtigruten, I was unsure about whether or not the Fram was the right choice. I made the booking through a travel agency, after a number of phone conversations. Their agent was most helpful; however, we got off to a bit of a rocky start when a Hurtigruten USA agent promised an accommodation that it turned out after we had paid our deposit they could not promise.

Instead of a guaranteed small suite for the price we were paying, we were offered an onboard credit, and so agreed to finalize our payment. In the end, the Cruise Norway staff and the Hurtigruten USA management did intervene on our behalf, and we were given the small suite we had initially been promised. Our private room and the overall space on the Fram were wonderful... clean, comfortable, spacious indoor and outdoor areas with fabulous views from most of the public areas on the boat.

The atmosphere was generally very informal and relaxed. One of the things I personally liked about the overall experience was that out of two hundred guests onboard, approximately one hundred were Americans, about 50 were from Germany, and the other 50 represented a large number of other countries. Likewise, the ten expedition staff represented eight countries. The entire ship's staff were great: cheerful,professional, helpful, efficient, and the whole experience was well managed and executed from start to finish. The Fram is bright and shiny and relatively new, with lots of floor to ceiling windows, and it was kept spotless.

Very pleasant "F" suite on the 5th floor, with good view window and very comfortable queen bed. This was about the size and quality of a good (not luxurious) hotel room, and was more than adequate for the the two of us.

Port Reviews

Ushuaia (Tierra del Fuego)

We were not a part of the pre-trip Ushuaia tour included in the package because we had arrived in Ushuaia prior to the rest of the group in our own vehicle. Ushuaia in nice weather is a great spot if you like hiking and vistas and don't mind touristy port towns. This trip was really not about Ushuaia, it was about Antarctica!

previous reviewnext review