An excellent Christmas cruise!: Thomson Majesty Cruise Review by The Kraken
Overall Member Rating
An excellent Christmas cruise!
Destination: Canary Islands
1. The Ship (mid-sized) itself was very clean and spacious. There were many areas that you could relax and have a drink in. We especially enjoyed the Jubilee lounge as a place to drink and be entertained. The dancers, comedian and hosts were professional and we had no difficulty in getting a good seat with a clear view of the stage. If you are fortunate to be waited upon by 'Willy', you will find him very fast, efficient and often hilarious. We frequently had coffee in the 'Royal Observatory' during the day and a special mention must go to 'Mary-Ann' for her attentative service. The rest of the ship facilities were perfectly OK. For example, the gym, although small was well equipped and we used More the running machines in here every day. One piece of advice, when you embark, you will be offered a tour of the ship to help you find your way around -- I would strongly recommend this as we found it worthwhile. Also, special mention must be made about the sail-away party which was really good.
2. We had three inside cabins all on deck 4. They were clean and well appointed. True, they were small but we knew what to expect in advance. The bathroom was fine -- clean with no drainage problems (as had been reported by other reviewers). The shower was small but powerful and hot. The hairdryer was next to useless with the drying power of an asthmatic moth! It broke after a few minutes use. This was subsequently repaired though. The cabin attendants were efficient and discrete and certainly work hard. You could watch various free movies on the TV in your cabin. For example, I watched 'Ted' and the new 'Bourne' film. Having these movies did not make up for the absence of an on-board cinema (as on other more modern ships) however, it was nice to have them when you just wanted to have a glass of wine and chill-out in private for an hour or two.
3. Food. Unlike other reviewer's experiences, I would rate the quality of the food offered on the Majesty as very good indeed. We principally ate in the 'Four Seasons' restaurant which we enjoyed immensely (particular mention must go to 'Rey' the wine waiter, 'Sudesh' the head waiter and 'Roosevelt' and 'Armando' our two main waiters). It is true that most nights we had to wait for a few minutes outside the restaurant before being seated; however, we did not find this an inconvenience. Note: we had two dinners in the 'Seven Seas' restaurant which is the larger of the two and have to say that the food and service was equally good. My only one small criticism of the evening meals was that the quality of the coffee should really be improved as it was not particularly good at all and on one occasion it was served cold -- this was replaced immediately as soon as we complained about it. We had breakfast (and usually lunch) in the self-service restaurant on deck ten. The food here proved to be plentiful and of good quality. The only complaint we had here concerned roast potatoes that were cold as the heat lamp they had been placed under was inadequate to keep them at temperature.
4. Drink. We paid about Â£200 each extra for the all-inclusive package. At the end of the holiday, I don't believe that we consumed drinks to this value. I do not have a problem with this as we certainly were not prepared to force ourselves to drink excessively just to get 'our monies worth'. The beauty about paying in advance though for us was that it made having a drink more relaxing as everything was taken care of in advance. Every drink we had (Gin and Tonic mainly!) was well prepared and happily served by the friendly waiting staff and was of named brands. No complaints.
5. Itinerary. In all honesty, the ship tended to dock in industrial ports that were generally not pretty at all. Gran Canaria was the best. Madeira port was a dusty, smelly place and it took quite a while to walk to the town centre. If you are fit, this is not a problem. If not, you had best get a taxi. Lanzarote -- I would advise that you get a taxi or bus to the beach. It is not worth walking. Morocco -- go on an organised trip. Less
Our cabin was on deck 4. Perfectly attended to with clean bed linen and bathroom. Shower tiny but hot and powerful. Hair dryer useless. Cabin maids very polite and efficient. Location meant that there was little external noise. However, the A/C was a nuisance so that we could only sleep with ear plugs in.
Ventura Canary Isles July 2017
Canary islands Cruise June 201...
No more of these cruises for u...
Fantastic cruise....don't beli...
Fantastic First Time Cruise