Carnival Triumph - Bahamas: Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by KarenConley

Carnival Triumph 5
Member Since 2004
304 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Carnival Triumph - Bahamas

Sail Date: June 2005
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Norfolk
We got into Norfolk around 12 p.m. and my husband and my cousin dropped us off at Nauticus and received a paper stating that we would be picked up by a shuttle bus when we arrived back and taken to the Cedar Point parking lot for pickup by my husband. This was a little confusing as he is not familiar with this area but the map was helpful.

Once the porter had our luggage and we paid him his fee of $1.00 per bag which we had around 9 -- so it was worth paying him to move all of the luggage and we went up the entrance to Nauticus and were greeted by Carnival staff and escorted to where we checked in. This went smoother than I thought it would. I did take my marriage license and was asked to see it -- but they told me they would have let me on without it.

Took us about 10 minutes for all 3 of us so we found a place to sit and waited for the ship to arrive -- which it did around 1 p.m. What a sight to see her pull into Nauticus. We were told we would be able to board More around 1:30 so we got in line and around 1:15 - 1:30 we were let go to enter the security checkpoint and follow the waiting line until we got to the 2nd checkpoint were you went through xray. We waited about 30+/- minutes until this opened and proceeded into the next phase inside where we waited until we had permission to get on board which was around 20 +/- minutes. The waiting time for each was not bad and we were so excited that we did not care about waiting. Once we got through this checkpoint than the next thing was having our pictures taken for the S/S card and then on board we were.

We headed straight towards our room on the Panorama deck. I had ordered a congratulation package for my daughter and was hoping it would be up when we entered the room--sure enough when she opened the door the room was all decked out with congratulations gifts. Everything was better than expected in our balcony room. We did have to ask for another robe since there were the 3 of us and some extra pillows -- which was done very quickly and we had taken a cooler for our drinks and before I could ask our stewardess about filling it up she had all ready done it and did so each day without asking. I had prepaid my tips so I did not know what kind of service we would get but everything and anything we requested was done -- even a chocolate chip cookie for me since I do not like peppermint. Because of great service we gave them additional tip for taking such good care of us.

Now where do I begin -- Ship is a little hard to figure out but by Tuesday I could find my way around okay without the help of the girls. We were on the Panorama deck so going to dinner was a little tricky -- go down to deck 5 walk into the casino and then take those elevators to deck 3 for dinner -- not too bad -- we requested the 6:15 dinner but instead got the 8 p.m. instead so I requested 6:15 again and received the 5:45. This was a little too early for me and the 8 was too late so the 6:15 would have been perfect if I could have gotten it.

The food in the Paris dining room was wonderful and our waiters were great. They flirted with the girls every night and even asked were they were one night that they did not show up. Adam was from Romania and I can't remember where Benjamin was from but both of them were wonderful. By the second night Benjamin knew that I drank decaf coffee and my daughter drank cappuccino and Amanda drank regular coffee. Anything we requested was immediately taken care and we never needed anything. We also gave them an additional tip for wonderful service. The dancing and singing in the dining room was enjoyed each night that it occurred. It was very funny -- the last night we had 8 -13' waves and it was very hard to walk around but the dancers did not have any problems at all. I had two breakfast in the dining room which were excellent -- coffee was better in the dining room than on the Lido deck and we had lunch which was excellent too. The rest of the time we ate at the South Beach Restaurant -- food was pretty good--hamburgers would wonderful--some of the best I have ever had -- girls tried the deli and said it was great and the pizza was also good. I did not like the tea at the South Beach -- it tastes like a mixture of instant and brewed tea and I did not like it. We just drank water at dinner--which was pretty good and the rest of the time we drank the lemonade -- which was wonderful and I had the fruit punch mixed with lemonade which was great.

The show that we saw was pretty good -- costumes were beautiful. I will say one thing -- please check your S/S card each and every day. They may some mistakes on mine and I had to go and see the purser to get it taken care of. Somehow, when my daughter signed up to use her charge card on her S/S card somehow it did not go through and everything she charged was billed to my card and her card but this was soon taken care of and then I was billed for two drinks that I did not order in the Rome Lounge during the show and had to go back to see the purser again and file a complaint -- they checked into the bar tabs and found I only had one drink and therefore credited back my account. I lost and won money at the casino but could not stay in there long because of all the noise--this was not my favorite thing.


Nassau -- Beautiful -- took a private tour to Atlantis and surrounding area by taxi for $20.00 per person -- around 2+ hours -- Atlantis was beautiful -- aquarium was unbelievable -- we did not get to the dig as time was short. Our next excursion was the dolphin encounter which we all enjoyed. Touching, petting, hugging and kissing the dolphin was exciting. We had our pictures taken with the dolphins and I also bought the video offered. Straw market was crowded and bartering made life interesting. We made our first phone calls at NAssau where we bought our phone card. DO NOT BUY A PHONE CARD FROM ANYWHERE ELSE. THEY WILL NOT WORK IN NASSAU OR FREEPORT. You can buy phone cards at the Festival Place and they also have people their who will assist you in placing the calls. They also helped set up our taxi excursion...We had someone by the name of Johnny be Good and he was a great driver. The only thing I could not get use too is that they drive on the left side of the road--that was hard for me to get use too -- can't thinking we were going to be hit. Found out later in the day that they have a shuttle bus that will take you from the ship to the Festival Place which is about 1/4 mile if you walk it--the humidity there was very high so the bus was great to have. We had a deck party the night we left Nassau and prepared for our next port of call -- Freeport.

Not as pretty as Nassau--we did do an excursion there -- Tranquility Shore -- the beach was very windy and very choppy when we were there. The water temperature was great and the food at the buffet was good. I also got to eat some fresh conch salad -- (Yes Cheryl -- I did eat some of this) and I thought it was pretty good. I wish the beach had been calmer than what it was. Leaving Freeport was sad because we knew our trip was coming to a close. We had some rough waves coming back 8-13' -- and I battled a little seasickness again but nothing Bonnie could not take care of.

Getting back into Norfolk must have been find because when we woke up we were already docked at Nauticus and by 7:30 they were making announcements about how you disembark. We went to have breakfast on the Lido deck around 8:30 and had just sat down to eat when they called our deck to we finished eating asap and preceded to go down to deck 0 which was a little difficult as we got on the wrong elevators but found out way down into the long lines. Our only saving grace was when a staff person came and asked if anyone had black tags -- which we did and we were pulled out of the lines and went to get our bags. We were missing two pieces to they had to locate them and within 15 minutes we had a porter and we were taken to the shuttle bus and within another 15 minutes we were at the Cedar Point parking lot waiting for our ride.

This was a once in a lifetime experience and I would not hesitate going again on the Triumph. Chris Jefferson the cruise director is leaving for 6 months vacation and I do not know who the new cruise director will be. I loved hearing him talk with his British accent. He was very funny at times. It took me about 3 days to get feeling normal again and facing reality again was hard but it was great seeing my grandkids, hubby and daughter I had left at home. Would I cruise Carnival again --MOST DEFINITELY. Triumph Again -- MOST DEFINITELY -- probably would not go the the Bahamas again but anywhere else would be great. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me. Just put Triumph in the subject box. Less

Published 06/28/05

Cabin review: 8e1027

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Triumph Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Bahamas Cruises

Member Since 2004
304 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X

See Carnival Triumph deals up to 82% off:

September Deals
Carnival Triumph 72% Loved It

4 Day Western Caribbean Cruise
See all Carnival Triumph Deals >>