3. Norwegian Spirit
This was our 40th wedding anniversary trip and we wanted to try something special. We landed in Seattle and at the luggage claim were told to place our luggage with a company that takes it to the ship. They then tell you to go outside and purchase your tickets for the bus to the ship. Well, we found out you can check your luggage and take a taxi, which is what we would do if we had it to do over. They quoted us the wrong price on the inside and led us to believe we had to take their transportation. But, we found out that it really doesn't matter because the airport there requires that the luggage be checked and you can take your own transportation. We had to wait quite a while for a bus and then when we did get on the bus it seemed to take forever to get to the ship since our driver was new and drove very slow. This was no fault of Norwegians so don't blame them! When we arrived at the pier it was about 2:00 p.m. Embarkation was probably the fastest we have ever had with a cruise line. We are Latitudes members, but it really didn't seem to matter. They were ready and took care of us quickly. We went straight to our room and got settled in with our carry on luggage. Our room was nice. Not overly large, but very comfortable. After having read the other reviews, we asked for the eggshell and it definitely made the bed comfortable. We loved the roominess of the bathroom. We had been on the Star last winter and it was all very similar in layout. Closet space was very adequate. And, even though they only have a few drawers, we took advantage of the shelves in the closet. We then went up to the buffet to eat. It was nothing spectacular, but just a typical buffet. We enjoyed eating our lunch in the buffet because they have a deli bar that you can make your own subs which I thoroughly enjoyed. The desserts weren't that exciting, but if you go back up about 3:30 they have homemade cookies and pizza in the buffet area. The pizza was good and the cookies great! I would take several back to our room for a midnight snack. Our luggage arrived at our room quite quickly and we were able to get unpacked. We had no problem storing our large suitcases in the closet. You just have to be a little inventive! Anyone going on this ship has to get a balcony room. The inside passage is beautiful and you always have a view. It was just breathtaking all the time. Saturday evening we ate dinner in the Windows restaurant. They were offering prime rib and creme brulee for dessert. The restaurant is beautiful. We love the freestyle dining! We are early diners so we would get there about 15 minutes early. The first 10 couples get a table for two by the window. It is just so beautiful and romantic. Our waiters were top notch and so friendly. The food was very tasty and great! Sunday we went to the Windows for breakfast. It was nice but just you typical breakfast. The rest of the mornings we ate at the buffet. Their waffles with whipped cream were great. They also have a very nice omelet bar. We also ate in the Garden restaurant a couple of times and loved it. This ship seems to cater to couples and we loved that, but in the Windows if you were with a larger group they sat you in the back with an awesome view! One of the things we enjoyed was the specialty restaurants. We had tried them on the Star so thought we would try them again. On the Spirit they offered two for one price if you ate before 6:00 PM. You had to get your reservations in early. We found out you could make your reservations the day before so that is what we did. The Oriental restaurant was superb. The food was great and we tried things we had not tried before. As I said before our waiters and waitresses at every restaurant were great. We could not have been more pleased with the service. The French restaurant serves a wonderful steak. Their Caesar Salad is the best ever and their chocolate fruit fondue is phenomenal!!! The waiters had such great personalities and were so much fun. The Steakhouse was awesome!!! Our food was fantastic. It is on the smaller side but very open to the views and romantic. Again the servers were wonderful and it was great to not have to pay two cover charges. Since our jobs are ones where we are always dressed up, it was nice for a change to have such a casual freestyle atmosphere. The Blue Lagoon is a fun place to eat light. They have the best homemade tomato soup and hamburgers. Now about the ports. Our first stop was Ketchikan. We loved this stop. It was raining and chilly, but we had gone prepared for this so it didn't bother us. We are not ones to take many tours so we just shopped around town. The stores were just great and they had some pretty terrific prices. I bought most of my souvenirs here. They is also a nice internet cafe right on the pier. You can buy a card and use it also at Juneau and Skagway. Our next port was Juneau. Since we had read the reviews, we knew not to book our tours on the ship. They have buses waiting for you when you disembark to take you in to town. This is at no charge to you. Then when they drop you off they are dozens of booths with people trying to sell you tours. We had been told to take the bus for $10.00 each to the Mendenhall Glacier. We bought our tickets and had to wait about a half hour for the bus. This was fine because there are all kinds of shops to visit while waiting. The visit to Mendenhall was amazing. We were able to view the glacier and then took a walk to a beautiful waterfall. The waterfall was gorgeous and while standing at the base I was able to make calls on my cell phone. I had a full signal. I was shocked! We had to walk back up to the bus stop and wait a short while for the bus along with many others. The buses run every half hour so that is really great. We then went back to town and shopped a little more and then took a bus back to the ship since it had started raining again. The ship then went in to Tracy Arm and there is no way to describe how beautiful this scenery was. We wanted to get to the Sawyer Glacier, but there were too many ice floats in the water so we had to stop before we got there, although we were able to see it. I have a digital camera binoculars and got some wonderful pictures of it. Of course as I have said before, with having a balcony room, you can be outside or inside as much as you want and see everything. The views are unbelievable. We then went to Skagway. We did not take the train or any of the tours although I sort of wish we had. This city was probably my favorite because of its uniqueness. It is only 7 blocks long and the buildings are like a old west town with plank sidewalks. We had a great time just walking the town. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed the sunshine. The next day we went to Prince Rupert. This port does not have a lot to offer and I got off the ship just to walk around. The weather was lovely and everyone was enjoying not having to wear coats. We spent the next day at sea and were able to see whales. The seas were perfect so we did not get sick, although we had worn the patches to protect us. Again let me commend this ship on the friendliness of everyone. The entertainment shows in the theater were not that great and matter of fact after once it was enough. I heard others complaining about them also. Their comedian was a little off color for my taste and they singers were to pop for the age group on this ship. The tenor was very good but he didn't have much personality. What we did enjoy was going to Charlies Champagne Bar and listening to the nightly entertainment. The Love Brother and Laura were great and Rhyme Time which is a couple from Barbados were fantastic!! We thought these two groups were better than anything in the theater. I think many others thought so too since the one night I counted over 100 people listening. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone and this ship. I would't mind taking it again. I give it high ranking marks.

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska