3. Carnival Freedom
We have taken annual cruises for the past 10 years and noticed a marked disintegration in the level of service. Of all of the cruises we have taken. most have been on Carnival and this was a repeat visit on this particular ship. The biggest surprise was having to ask for an ice bucket for the room. We had paid for a higher level balcony category so we expected a higher level of service. Nope, the only thing we noticed were more "freebies" of bathroom toiletries which we never use anyway. Dining Room: Food was mediocre at best. To have standards such as fried chicken and hamburgers for dinner? Come on, that is Lido deck food. There was no enthusiasm with the nightly waiter shows. My husband getting up an dancing along to Gangam created more of a stir. Shows: Only had shows 3 nights. One night was a Newlywed type of game. Most people opted for the Karaoke contests. These totally eclipsed the choreographed shows. Cruise Director: Mostly non-existent. Must have still been on his honeymoon. There was NOTHING to generate excitement among the passengers. In the past, there have been daily Calypso bands around the pool to get the passengers in the Caribbean mood. (Hello, can you say selling more Pina Coladas?) Bar Service: Where were the trays of tropical drinks in the special cups? For $9.95 I expect something more than a dollar store plastic cup. Bar service was sporadic and sloppy. Dirty glasses sat too long on tables. I watched three waiters walk by a table with dirty glasses. Cleanliness: Carpets in the public areas seemed dirty. Dishes and glasses were not promptly picked up. The casino was dirty and smelly. Cabin: Now this is interesting. We paid for the Panorama Deck (#10) and were in room #1009. Do you know that you cannot use the balcony light for this room? We thought it was broken and the steward told us that is was disabled as the light interfered with the navigation of the ship. A dark balcony is safe for a passenger? Come on, they spend millions of dollars engineering these ships and they can't come up with some way of illuminating a balcony after dark? I can't imagine the cruise line would want the liability of a passenger getting hurt on a dark balcony. This had to have been one of the sleepiest cruises I have ever seen. If you are new to cruising, you don't know what to expect so it probably is OK. If you are a veteran, this cruise makes you rethink your vacation options.

Cruising is nothing special any more

Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Loan Witch

Loan Witch’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Balcony
Cabin 8F 1009
Cabin 1009 cannot use the balcony light as supposedly it interferes with the navigation of the ship. I think this is one very important detail that needs to be disclosed very prominently.
Spa Deck Balcony Cabins