3. Norwegian Epic
This was my 4th cruise overall and 3rd on Norwegian , having sailed on the sky ( meh) and pearl ( loved it) I was pretty excited to experience the latest and greatest the line had to offer. It did not disappoint. The first thing I'll say is this ship is probably not for everybody. If you like quiet spaces and slow paces this isn't the ship for you. Ship design - Best summed up in a pros/cons list Pros: Very easy to navigate Attractive and flashy design and decor Lots of options for dining , hanging out , and entertainment Big enough for 4000 people ( not as crowded as one would think) Plenty of deck space/chairs , especially if you know where to look Cons: Too much casino , which was often smoky and crowded and it wasn't always avoidable Promenade deck rather doesn't circle the ship and is obstructed by lifeboats Not enough views of the ocean in some places, sort of makes you forget you're on a ship ( not that big of a con) Dining- Ton of options and locations to eat at- Here's what I tried Garden Cafe offers up a huge selection , more options than one could try in a week. Plenty of seating and nice panoramic view of the ocean. O'sheehans- solid pub food available 24/7 - Milkshakes are extra but worth it at least once during a week Wasabi- got a rainbow roll , very good size roll for 4.25 or so. Quality was surprisingly good. Would do it again for sure. Le Bistro - Best meal on the ship. The duck confit and the chocolate fondue were particularly notable. Atmosphere was nice and quiet. Shanghai's - Pretty good , maybe a little high price at 15 , but the food was pretty good. There was 4 of us that night and we tried a bit of everything and it was all pretty good except the lettuce wraps. The Chestnut and red bean triangles with green tea ice cream is a must try. Not very busy so it was pretty quiet. La Cucina - Probably the prettiest restaurant on the ship. Least favorite of the specialty restaurants but still good. Caprese was beautifully plated with a taste to match. One of my favorite Tiramusus anywhere. The main courses are good but not great. Main dining rooms provide a good meal for no extra charge , and on lobster and prime rib nights you should look no further. The specialty restaurants are definitely better on the whole ,but the MDRs suffice. We had an inside cabin and found it to be surprisingly efficient for the size. Didn't feel as cramped as the rooms on the sky and the decor was very sharp. I was traveling with my fiancee so the privacy complaints on the bathrooms didn't matter , and if you pull the curtain you're fine anyway. Plenty of closet space with an adequate shower space. And surprisingly comfortable beds. The entertainment that I saw was all top notch. Blue Man Group was so good we saw it twice , The Slam Allen Blues band was really good too. The only show I didn't care for was Legends in Concert , largely because Michael Jackson was sick so we had only Jimmy Buffet , Whoopie Goldberg and Donna Summer , and those aren't exactly my favorite people. The quality was very high though. Didn't get to catch cirque dreams but hopefully we will next time we're on board. Getting on and off the ship was a breeze , especially on port days. No more crowded than the smaller ships I've been on , and maybe even less crowded. Staff was very friendly on the whole. One last note , the big bowl slide and the green one are very fun , the purple one not so much, Overall the Epic has some flaws , but nothing that's a dealbreaker. It served up on of the most fun weeks at sea I could've imagined , and we didn't even do everything! So if you want a quiet relaxing ship , this might not be for you , but for someone looking for fun than look no further than the Epic.

Great week aboard the Epic

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by Tonysmooth89

• Sail Date: December 2012
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Inside

Ship design - Best summed up in a pros/cons list
Pros: Very easy to navigate
Attractive and flashy design and decor
Lots of options for dining , hanging out , and entertainment
Big enough for 4000 people ( not as crowded as one would think)
Plenty of deck space/chairs , especially if you know where to look
Promenade deck rather doesn't circle the ship and is obstructed by lifeboats

Staff was very friendly on the whole.

Tonysmooth89’s Full Rating Summary