• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Grandeur of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
46 Awards

Not overwhelmed, but will probably cruise again

Review for Grandeur of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean
twokey
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Dec 2012
Cabin: Junior Suite

We have just returned from our Grandeur of the Seas cruise through the Southern Caribbean. This was my first cruise and my partner's first as an adult. We both found the whole experience to be extremely good, not great. I say not great because no part of the experience exceeded our expectations. Maybe we expected too much. The service was very good, the food was good, the activities were OK. The entertainment was good. Overall, we had a very good time. I just was expecting to be "wowed", based on all that I had heard about cruising.

We were upgraded, initially, to a Junior Suite on the 8th deck, aft. I loved this idea because the balcony is so much bigger than the others. That is why, when I was offered an upgrade to a Grand Suite the week before we left, I said no. The Grand Suites were all up front underneath the Windjammer. I had heard stories about chairs being dragged across the floor at all hours and the balconies were not as big. I'LL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! If we had taken the Grand Suite, we would have saved an hour of embarkation, gotten many of the spiffs that go with a Suite and gotten a bigger room, too. As it turned out, I spent a total of about 10 minutes on our balcony the whole seven nights. The balcony, however, was magnificent, I just never went out there.

This brings me to the room. I was certainly expecting, after a $48 million dollar renovation,that the room would have been pretty nice. It was a flashback to the 1970's. It was very clean, but the furnishings, except for the flat-screen TV, all seemed old. The carpet was new, I think. And the toilet seat? would someone please explain to me why the toilet seat is only 2

Junior Suite

Cabin JS

Great location! The balcony is huge, with plenty of room for the 2 lounge chairs, the table and 2 sitting chairs, as well as room to walk around. This Suite is under the Spa, so no noise ever. Occasionally we had some soot from the smoke stack, but nothing to be at all concerned with. What a delight it was to watch the ocean as we sailed along.

Port Reviews

Cartagena (Colombia)

Great history and scenery. We hired a local guide to take us around. He was

quite knowledgeable and added to our experience.

Bonaire

We took the WOODWIND snorkeling tour, as I had heard great things on TRIPADVISOR. They were excellent. The whole crew was a delight. The training and guidance was superb. The snorkeling locations were breath-taking. I strongly suggest this experience. We did it on our own, not through the ship.

Curacao

Again, we did this on our own. We had made friends with a couple of other cruisers on board and just wandered the city, buying a few mementos, here and there. We all had a good time.

Aruba

We did this one on our own. We found lots to see and do.

Colon (Cristobal)

This was our port of Embarkation and Disembarkation. Since we had not been told that we had to be off the ship by 8am, we had arranged for pick-up at 10:30. What a pitiful way to end the cruise, having to stand around in the loading area waiting for our ride in the heat. I am so very sorry that I had not heard about being kicked of the ship so early.

previous reviewnext review