Carnival Breeze Cruise Review

Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by saskatoonconnolly

• Sail Date: Dec 2012
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

I would love to say that it was great, but it was just 'okay'. Embarkation was easy and painless, the cabin (L-shaped #6499) was nicely decorated and had a great extended balcony (2-3 times normal size), but other than that not much I can say was overly memorable.

I was surprised that there were absolutely no toiletry sample 'gifites' in our stateroom, not a major deal, but just something I had always had with previous cruises. Steward was friendly and kept things in good order and was quick to get us patio chairs for our balcony as our were missing at embarkation time.

Food in all areas were less flavouful than in the past, bland and luke warm. Not sure if we were often hungry at the wrong time, but the Marketplace buffets seemed to be closed more than they were open and we always found ourselves having to resort to Pizza (24hrs). We only ate in the DR once as we were seated 2 inches from the next table and they took your order as though you were all one group of 16 people. The neighbouring tablemates were smokers, it was very apparent by the tobacco smell eminating from their clothing (we are non-smokers). Upon requesting a table change through the maitre d (privately after dinner) we were told that we would have to change seating times to 8:15pm as they did not have any 2 person tables available at the 6pm seating that weren't set up in the same fashion.

We missed a port in Grand Turk, which was a dissapointment, but what can you do? I would've liked to have heard that they tried for an alternative port before resorting to just add a sea day, but I heard nothing. Was also hoping that they would take the sea day at the the tail end of the cruise and maybe replace it with a port, but no such luck :( Didn't seem to me that anything was added entertainment-wise for the sea day, and it was a bit of a bore compared to past cruising experiences - I just cant put my finger on the why....it just was. And yes, I know Carnival can't control the weather, but I would hope they can understand that we booked a 3 port vacation, and had I had a choice I wouldn't have sailed a cruise with 2 ports and 3 sea days - not worth the same money as a 3 port in my opinion. I'm sure they really don't mind seeing sea days added though as they would benefit largely in drink, casino, and onboard shopping profits...

We had a good time on our excursions in Falmouth and Nassau, both booked through Carnival and were reasonably priced.

Again, I don't know why - but there was just something about this cruise that wasn't as upbeat and fun as cruises I've been on in the past. I don't think it was the ship itself, but maybe cutbacks in various areas??

Overall I would have to rate this as a "....Meh....."

saskatoonconnolly's Full Rating Summary