3. Norwegian Spirit
We sailed from Seattle on 5/21/05. The embarkation process was smooth, but we did get there before it got real busy. They had some number system where they called you number to proceed on the ship, however the P.A. system was not working so it became first come at the security screening. The last 2 cruises I took were on Royal Caribbean were their ships are a lot of glass, brass, and chrome, so I would have been surprised about the colors on this ship had it not been for this web site and group. Over all the ship was very nice for an Alaska Cruise. The very best place to be for watching the view, if the weather is not favorable for deck 13 fwd viewing, is in the Galaxy of the Stars on 12 fwd. The key spot is either on the left or right side corners on the raised platforms with the red carpet. From here you can see everything forward and aft of the ship all while being inside! Trick is once you are there, you have cant leave. You have to have somebody stay and hold your chairs. We never did get these tables but saw the same people there every day. The food was good, but definitely not the best I have had. Raffels food was usually luke warm to cool if it wasn't just brought out. In the dinning rooms, I think service suffers do to the freestyle cruising. We had empty glasses a bunch, had to ask for more bread. The waiters are not motivated since you are not tipping them directly. I suspect this is on all NCL ships. Swimming was great the kids & adults pool were kept at 85 and the hot tubs at 100, and we were impressed with the Kids Crew program. Our daughter was in the 6-12 group and was always in a hurry to get to the program. Captain Lars was very informative and did an excellent job getting us as close as he could to the Sawyer Glacier. The week before, he said that they were unable to see the glacier due to the ice in the water. We still didn't make it all the way up, but we have a good view of it. My biggest disappointment of the cruise was not the fault of NCL. I was majorly disappointed in the Ports of Call (Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway). Except for the beautiful mountains and very nice people, I would have thought I stepped of the ship into any town in the Caribbean. I am tired of Diamond International, Tanzanite International, Del Sol, etc.... They are in every port just like the Caribbean! The few excursions we did were fun, and I heard good reviews about most that we did not go on. So I guess I can sum it up this way...Would I go again and on this ship?... Yes.

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by sailtrip

• Sail Date: May 2005
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony
We sailed from Seattle on 5/21/05.
sailtrip’s Full Rating Summary