3. Norwegian Epic
This was our first NCL cruise and my husband and I came to the conclusion very early into our vaca that this would be our last NCL cruise! The biggest complaints we have are the: SERVICE-Gratuities are prepaid and we felt that the wait staff did not extend adequate customer service. This was our first cruise with the pre- paid tips. I do not agree with this setup. Staff knows that they are getting their tip and do not go out of their way to provide excellent service. Table service very SLOW. ALSO, only ONE staff member introduced themselves to us. His name was Alan in the Taste Restaurant. I remember his name because as I said, he was the only one to do so. NCL needs to give more customer service training to their staff! No warm fuzzy feeling from staff at all. Felt like they were just there doing their job. ROOM- DID NOT like the bathroom setup!! Very thin "door" for toilet closet which provided no sound barrier for the loud septic system. Going to the bathroom or using sink in middle of night wakes the other people in the room. RECESS KIDS CLUB: It closes 12-2pm and 5-7pm each day and that is not printed anywhere on their web site. So if you have reservations for a show/dinner and you want to drop off your child, keep this in mind. Check in process for each drop off is a LONG wait. NCL could take some tips from Disney and improve this process. OK, now for some POSITIVE comments: PROS: EMBARKATION was smooth. We arrived at port around 12noon and were on the ship in 30minutes. Only negative was that passengers have to stand in line outside the terminal and there is no shade/rain coverage. CABIN STORAGE: The most storage we have ever seen in an inside or balcony room. 3 travelers in our room and did not need all the storage spaces provided. BEDS: Were very comfortable! My husband and I suffer from chronic back issues and the Epic beds were great! The couch/bed was used by our 6 year old and it was fine but would not be big enough for teen or adult. ENTERTAINMENT: Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams dinner,Legends, Nick Breakfast characters were AWESOME! HINT: Cirque dreams dinner: either buy premium seating or if you buy standard, get there EARLY. We had standard seating and the better seats fill up first then they start seating in the back which is where we ended up. Second City Comedy Group: STINKS. Good thing this was a free show. SUMMARY: If you are traveling with kids, stick with DISNEY. If you want better customer service and food quality then "freestyle cruising" will not be for you. BOTTOM LINE: As the saying goes..."You get what you pay for..." We will pay more and stick with better quality cruise lines!

First Time NCL Cruisers with child

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by hmcstern

• Sail Date: November 2012
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony
SERVICE-Gratuities are prepaid and we felt that the wait staff did not extend
adequate customer service. This was our first cruise with the pre-
paid tips. I do not agree with this setup. Staff knows that they
are getting their tip and do not go out of their way to provide
excellent service. Table service very SLOW.
ALSO, only ONE staff member introduced themselves to us. His name
was Alan in the Taste Restaurant. I remember his name because as
I said, he was the only one to do so. NCL needs to give more
customer service training to their staff! No warm fuzzy feeling
from staff at all. Felt like they were just there doing their job.

ROOM- DID NOT like the bathroom setup!! Very thin "door" for toilet closet
which provided no sound barrier for the loud septic system. Going to
the bathroom or using sink in middle of night wakes the other people
in the room.
RECESS KIDS CLUB: It closes 12-2pm and 5-7pm each day and that is not
printed anywhere on their web site. So if you have reservations for
a show/dinner and you want to drop off your child, keep this in mind.
Check in process for each drop off is a LONG wait. NCL could take
some tips from Disney and improve this process.
OK, now for some POSITIVE comments:

PROS: EMBARKATION was smooth. We arrived at port around 12noon and were on
the ship in 30minutes. Only negative was that passengers have to stand
in line outside the terminal and there is no shade/rain coverage.

CABIN STORAGE: The most storage we have ever seen in an inside or
balcony room. 3 travelers in our room and did not
need all the storage spaces provided.
BEDS: Were very comfortable! My husband and I suffer from chronic
back issues and the Epic beds were great! The couch/bed was
used by our 6 year old and it was fine but would not be big
enough for teen or adult.
ENTERTAINMENT: Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams dinner,Legends, Nick Breakfast
characters were AWESOME! HINT: Cirque dreams dinner: either
buy premium seating or if you buy standard, get there EARLY.
We had standard seating and the better seats fill up first
then they start seating in the back which is where we ended
up. Second City Comedy Group: STINKS. Good thing this was
a free show.
SUMMARY: If you are traveling with kids, stick with DISNEY.
If you want better customer service and food quality then
"freestyle cruising" will not be for you.
BOTTOM LINE: As the saying goes..."You get what you pay for..."
We will pay more and stick with better quality cruise lines!
hmcstern’s Full Rating Summary