• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

cliffnphil
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Nov 2012
Cabin: Deluxe Veranda 1A

This is my first review, and as I have only just returned home from the overnight flight from Singapore the memories should still be fresh, and hopefully be of some use if you are considering either this cruise, or this cabin. I know there are lots of very useful hints and tips available on the forums but sometimes it is good to simply read a review.

Embarkation: incredibly straightforward, flew into Dubai, private transfer to the port, then a simple check in experience where the Sea Pass was issued and we were told that we would be able to board the ship at around 1pm. That was perfect for us as it meant we had less than a couple of hours to wait, but even better they allowed us onto the ship at around 11.30 so we could go exploring and have a bite to eat straight away. I only hope it is that simple next time!

Cabin: 7237, on the 'hump' as I believe it is referred to.

Deluxe Veranda 1A

Cabin 1A

Great location, on the hump of the ship, not overlooked at all and not obscured by the 'X' across the side of the ship.

Perfect for privacy for those quiet sunbathing moments, and perfect for access to stairs and elevators...I would happily stay in this cabin again.

Plenty of storage space, but no shower gel so take your own (but you do get shampoo provided) !

Port Reviews

Muscat

I could not find Oman in the list of ports so have selected Muscat !

Went on the 'Fascinating Forts' tour from the ship, visited 3 interesting forts/castles and a decent lunch at a tourist hotel.

A lot of driving between the sights but it you have a y interest in the history of Oman (in particular the Forts) then this is a great choice, we loved it.

Kochi (Cochin)

If you have never been to India then this is not a great way to be introduced to the country. The port itself is fairly shoddy and industrial, absolutely nothing to do at the port so if you get off the ship then you need a taxi or tuk tuk or ship tour in order to get anywhere.

Cochin is pretty interesting, we booked a taxi for 4 hours for 2 people, agreed a cost of $30 for the driver to take us to all the sights, which he did, and all with good humour and plenty of ad hoc stops when we asked to stop or go to a shop. In the end we paid $40 for a 4 hour excursion, great value.

The taxis are all aligned in the port and getting one really could not be easier. The tuk tuks are the same, but they are open to the elements, and fumes, so depends on your preference.

previous reviewnext review