• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

spikedshoe
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Oct 2012
Cabin: Sunset Veranda

Not exactly sure if I say any red sails but the words of Ulsterman Jimmy Kennedy seem appropriate for the a first cruise review by one of his countrymen.

Chosen at random and in a rush we found ourselves on an Easyjet flight to Barcelona with less than a couple of hours to play with plunging headlong and blind into an experience I had only heard about from a few friends but which I had yearned for for many years.

First of all lets get the complaints out of the way.

Sunset Veranda

Cabin SV

The stateroom was superb and we really enjoyed the view from the rear and the sunshine. Although we did not use room service the room was impeccably cleaned and beds serviced twice a day. More than enough space for storage with ample room under the beds for the large suitcases. Despite reports of lack of hangers this ws not a problem. We took four with us and left them behind. Bathroom facilites were excellent. There was quite a long walk to and from the stateroom from the central staircase but this did not really bother us. Again despite warnings we encountered no problem from soot on the veranda.

Port Reviews

Cannes

Not a lot to see but since I had been before I am perhaps being unkind. Would have preferred Villefranche.

Florence (Livorno)

Livorno actually. Did a 'do it yourself' to Pisa.

Kotor

Beautiful exit (dark coming in) and lovely town but you really need to do the climb to the Fortress to get the full value.

Venice

Loved every minute of it despite the crowds. No doubt in high season it would not be so enjoyable.

Dubrovnik

Amazing old town. Taking the excursion would not have allowed enough time to really explore the town and walk the entire circuit of the walls.

previous reviewnext review