3. Sun Princess
My profile: My wife and I are 30 years old. We are very out going people that like to do many different activities. This was our 5th cruise, so we are not rookies. We love to eat gourmet food and participate in many of the cruise events. Trip description: Whittier College Fjord Glacier Bay Skagway Juneau Ketchikan Vancouver High level Review: Alaska is a cruise vacation biased to the older generation. The average age I witnessed was around 50-60. Don't expect a wild crazy party environment like you experience in the Caribbean or Mexico. This is a peaceful quiet site seeing and wild life watching cruise. The glaciers in College Fjord and Glacier Bay were amazing! You have to go out on deck and look at them because you will never see anything like that anywhere else. Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan are all very small towns. To really experience Alaska you need to join tours. Helicopters, trains, small boats, and float planes are all great ways to do this. I strongly recommend joining these types of tours rather than just walking around town through all the tourist trap shopping stores. The food was very good at dinner each night. (You can trust me on this because I ate 2 or 3 main entrees at each meal) The 24 hour buffet is a joke late at night. They only offer tiny deserts and snacks. Entertainment varied night to night. The "broadway style" singers and dancers sang out of tune. Some of the comedians were very funny, but with a ethic diverse audience, american humor did not always work. Bingo always packed the lounges, but the casino never filled up much. A wide variety of music always could be heard from the many lounges on the ship. With all these things said, we enjoyed this relaxing trip a lot. Next time we plan on bringing family and friends to create a big group. We noticed many multi-generation families on board. They seemed to be having the most fun because cruises offer so many different activities for wide age group. Food: Every time you enter a restaurant, you will be required to clean your hands with an alcohol fluid. This is to avoid the spread of any diseases on board the ship. Breakfast was the same each day in the buffet and the dining room. Room service only contained a continental menu. Lunch was nothing special either. The pizzeria and the grill near the pool were great ways of getting a snack. At dinner, the positives were definitely the seafood. Alaska crab legs, lobster tail, and the many fresh fishes are a must! I always had a meat dish and a seafood dish each night. The portions are fairly small, so you can eat the whole menu if you like. The kitchen got to know me as the skinny guy that ate more than the big people. The souffles were excellent for dessert, they had a different kind each night. The salads and salad dressing all tasted the same. I recommend signing up for the fixed seating rather than the anytime. You will get the same waiter each time and better service. The wait staff in the anytime dining room was very "cold" and "rude" at times to many of the customers. Tips are already fixed to $6.50 a day through your cruise card, so they don't need to earn it from you. If you drink a lot of soda, purchase a "soda card" on the first day of the cruise. College Fjord Stand on the top decks near the pool that allow you to walk all around the ship. The glaciers surround the boat, and the captain will turn the ship many times. Glacier Bay I suggest avoiding the crowds on the top decks this day and viewing them on the Aloha and Baja decks. Walk all the way to the front of the ship and go through a set of doors. There is a small porch in which to view the glaciers and get amazing pictures. Take your photos here because nobody will be there. Skagway We did the dog sledding helicopter tour with Temsco "www.temscoair.com" I reserved this directly with Temsco and saved $100 compared to the the cruise offering. The other people on the helicopter reserved through the ship. It was a very fun tour and I highly recommend it.(note this tour can be done in Juneau also) Skagway is a very small town, so I suggest walking around to the many shops. Juneau We joined the Orca Enterprises, Captain Larry, whale watching tour. "www.orcaenterprises.com" I strongly recommend reserving this boat tour rather than the cruise ships tour because it is more personal. They only take out 25 people in a small boat built specifically for whale watching. The famous Captain Larry can spot a whale 4 miles away, and actually guarantees your money back if you don't see whales on this trip. The scientist on board was very knowledgeable and polite also. In the afternoon we took the Mt Roberts Trainway up to the top of the mountain to go hiking. I suggest bringing some bug spray. The view is very nice, but we got bored fairly quickly up there and came back down. Note, that you should only go up the train if it is a clear day. Ketchikan We reserved a sea kayaking tour of Orca's Cove. "www.kayakketchikan.com" We didn't see much wild life, but the paddling and personal attention we got from the guide was great. On the way to the cove, we saw 4 killer whales! It rains a lot there, so bring your umbrella and rain gear. The cruise ships port right in the middle of town, so you can go back and forth to your ship all day.

Sun Princess - Alaska