3. Carnival Valor
This was our third cruise on Carnival. We find this line to offer the best cruise vacation value. We were on the lowest passenger deck and at first I was a little worried about that, but it turned out just fine (with one exception - read on). I think I may actually prefer deck 1 since we felt very little movement. The Bad: Embarkation - This was the worst and longest embarkation we've ever had. It took about an hour and a half of waiting in line to get onboard, lugging our carry on luggage x5 people all they way. Surely, there must be a more efficient way to do this! Cabin Issues - The drawers were dirty so I asked my room steward to clean them. After re-cleaning they still had dirt and someone else's hair in them. Yuck. I decided to line them with hand towels. Our refrigerator didn't work for the first few days, then was just barely cold. Not cold enough to store food or get drinks cold. One bedside lamp was severely damaged, and the lampshade cracked. My room steward said 'it's been that way for a long time'. Hmm...Worst of all there were loud noises that came from below at all hours of the night that woke me up many, many times. Our family in the cabins beside mine heard them too, but it was worst in my cabin. Steer clear of cabins 1291, 1295 and 1299. I informed my cabin steward, and I made numerous calls to maintenance and they couldn't determine the cause. I asked to be moved to another cabin, but was told the ship was full. I was exhausted from lack of sleep. I even called maintenance once at 3:45am to share the joy. They were never able to find the source. I will be sending Carnival a letter about this. Past Guest benefit: The main benefit of their scaled-down loyalty program in Red level is one free drink. Boy did we have to be determined to get it. Most cocktail servers didn't even know about it. We asked and asked and were finally told we had been given a coupon for it. Nope. Not us. It became a joke for us to keep trying to get that free drink. After about 5 visits to guest services we received our free drink coupons 2 days before our cruise ended. lol. They were good drinks though. Boy, did we have to earn them. The Good: The overall experience and mood was what we've come to expect from Carnival. The shows were decent, The comedy shows were decent, the food was pretty good, there was lots to do if you wanted to, great towel animals, the water slide was great and the ship's decor was my favorite of the three Carnival ships I've been on. I generally don't care for Carnival's decor, but this ship was least offensive. Best of all, my kids absolutely loved the kids program. The little ones hated to leave, and we hardly ever saw our oldest. They had such an amazing time. Our room steward other than the issues mentioned was very friendly as were our dining room waiters. We also enjoyed the ports very much. Overall we had a very good time. I'd say excellent if not for the issues mentioned above. Overall, we think Carnival provides the best bang for the buck among the cruise lines we've been on.

Some Issues, but Very Good Overall

Ages 3 to 6
Ages 10 to 12

Interior
Cabin 4A 1295
1295 - Major noise from below!!! Avoid this cabin.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Grand Turk
    We loved this port. This is what I think of when I imagine what a cruise line private island is like. Pretty much nothing to do but lay on the beach and play on the water. This is exactly what we wanted. There were plentiful, free beach loungers, many in the shade. The snorkeling was great. We even saw an old canon in the water. Very laid back. There were waiters from the nearby Margaritaville who would offer food and drink. There were some excursions available, mostly for snorkeling. And there was a very nice pool at Margaritaville to use, but they were doing a pool party-type thing for the party crowd so we skipped that. We had a great time there.
    View All 1,747 Grand Turk Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grand Turk Cruise Port Review
  • San Juan
    We also enjoyed this port. We hopped on a city tour bus as we debarked, and had a nice 2-hour guided tour and saw the sights - all for a fraction of the price of the same excursion booked on the ship. Afterwards, we did some shopping and headed back to the ship.
    View All 3,095 San Juan Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's San Juan Cruise Port Review
  • St. Maarten
    As you can probably tell, we usually don't book excursions on the ship. Here we rented a car for the day for about $60 and drove around the entire island. Our first stop was the Butterfly Farm. Wonderful place and very friendly, pleasant folks there. Highly recommended. They even provide complimentary rum punch. Yum!!! After that we headed to a nearby beach and did some snorkeling, then made our way around the rest of the island. This island is beautiful.
    View All 4,132 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Maarten Cruise Port Review
  • St. Thomas
    View All 4,104 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Thomas Cruise Port Review
  • Beach Break
    Coki Beach - Amazing. GREAT for families.
    View All 199 Beach Break Reviews
  • Island Tour
    Our Taxi driver took us on a tour on our way back from Coki Beach.
    View All 213 Island Tour Reviews
  • Paradise Point Skyride
    This was our favorite port. Our first stop was the Paradise Point tram. Wow, you get the most amazing views from there! There's a bar and some shopping at the top as well as some animals to see and a ferris wheel. It's a little run down, but still nice to do. Everyone we encountered there were VERY friendly.
    After that we hopped in a taxi and made our way to Coki Beach. WOW. This was the best snorkeling we'd ever seen. Nice small beach, with waiters to bring food and drink. You can also rent snorkel gear there and they have showers so you can wash off the salt before you leave. Our cab driver picked us back up at our agreed upon time then took us on a island tour and stopped several times so we could take pictures - even Blackbeard's castle. Again, we did this all on our own. There was no need to book these through the ship. We saved a boat-load (pun intended) of money this way.
    View All 73 Paradise Point Skyride Reviews