• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

shepherdqueen
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Oct 2012
Cabin: Aft-Facing Balcony

Day One: We awoke very early to catch a 6:00 am Amtrak train to Penn Station. Our local train station is immaculate, with plenty of handicap parking and easy access elevators. Penn Station was not as easy to navigate, elevators were not easy to find. I have mobility/balance issues and I am terrified of escalators, but I was able to go "up" to street level, dragging one of the suitcases (DH handled the other two) where we took a terrifying, but thankfully short, taxi ride to the pier ($15.00 including tip). DH is a professional driver and he could not watch out the window.

We arrived at the pier at about 9:45 am. We gave our luggage to the porters and headed inside, straight to special assistance. I had arranged wheelchair embark/disembark as I cannot stand and wait in a long line. Since we were the first to arrive that requested such assistance, I was first on the list to be boarded. They had plenty of seating for the passengers who did arrive early. At 10:15 am they called for those who were not waiting for special assistance, but kept us who were informed that they would start with us at 11:30 am.

When they did start with the list of special assistance passengers, I was wheeled through security and check in, with my husband tagging along. We were able to embark very quickly at that point and we requested to be taken to the MDR instead of the buffet. The men who wheel me were wonderful and careful. Great service!

Aft-Facing Balcony