Our Great Cruise: Carnival Elation Cruise Review by Man of Many Hats

Carnival Elation 5
Man of Many Hats
Member Since 2009
189 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Our Great Cruise

Sail Date: September 2012
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: New Orleans
With an unexpected cruise planned and only given two weeks notice to pack, we began yet another journey. On Sept 16 we traveled to Kansas City and spent the night there so that we wouldn't have to drive during the early morning hours. Our flight was to be at 10 a.m. putting us in New Orleans a little past noon, but once again we experienced a delay due to mechanical problems. After sitting at the airport for an extra three hours we were finally on our way. This is why we always head for our cruise a day in advance. Some at the airport weren't so lucky as they were cruising on Sunday afternoon and with the delay it's most likely they missed their ship. We spent a relaxing evening in New Orleans waiting anxiously for morning to come. We headed back to the airport and waited a short time for the Carnival bus to pick us up. Once we arrived at the port we checked in and within an hour we were on the ship having lunch and watching others arrive. I decided to make one last call to our More daughter, Sarah, to remind her we won't have phone service for the week. I didn't get to talk to her as I got her voice mail so I just left the following message,"after getting arrested in New Orleans and spending the night in jail, we finally posted bail and now are on our way to Progresso." Larry and I laughed as we knew Sarah would be texting Homer to see if he knew anything and that Sarah just wouldn't know for sure what to think. That's part of the fun Larry & I have is to keep the kids guessing and wondering what we are up to next. After we set sail, we met with some wonderful people that Larry was aquainted with through a Carnival forum online. We had a good time talking to them and spent much time with them throughout the cruise.
This cruise took us to Progresso and Cozumel, both places we've been to before. Once we arrived in Progresso we took the free shuttle into town then began our walk looking for the doubledecker bus tour. After asking several people how to get to the bus we finally met a nice man who said we weren't far from it so he walked us to the area. Not being thrilled of heights,I hesitated before climbing the ladder to the top deck of the bus, once I made it to the top you could feel the rockiness in the bus. But the ride and tour was wonderful even though at some points you had to duck your head because of low powerlines and tree branches. We got to see many wonderful buildings although neither of us could really understand what the tour guide was telling us they were. We did see such things as the school, post office, a church that has no doors on it, police station, many stores, beaches which are all paid beaches. On the beaches you can do anything from sunbath, to having dinner or even get a massage.

Our tour was over and we began a little shopping while heading back to the ship. Ut-oh, which way do we go. We walked many blocks looking for an orange building that I remembered we passed not knowing there were quiet a few orange buildings that looked the same. Lost in Progresso, who back home is going to believe this. After more walking we finally saw people who looked as if they may of come off a cruise ship so we stopped and asked them if they knew how to get back to the ship. Yeah, they were much help and we followed their direction and found our ship. But even with getting lost in Progresso it was a fun and memoriable adventure.

Our next day was a sea day, giving us time to relax, which we needed after all that walking, then the next day we arrived in Cozumel. Here we decided to stay around the port area and do some shopping and people watching. People watching is something we both enjoy and found many others on the cruises enjoy it also. We found some great bargains here and enjoyed the Mexican music as we strolled through the stores. As you enter the stores in these ports, the people there do their best to try and get you to buy something. I've learned to walk fast, saying "no" and meeting Larry outside the stores. A case of "you're on you're own".
Once back on the ship we enjoyed the company of our new friends, sharing our experiences of the past few days. We've enjoyed some wonderful musical shows, trivias games, bingo and the casino, etc. With my luck at bingo and Larry's at the casino we left the cruise with practically no bill at all.

We watched the one game which was like Jeopardy, as we sat in the audience I knew the answers for the first 3 games so decided to play the final game which meant getting up on stage. This was a major mistake because once I got on that stage all the questions were very hard and I had no clue to the answers until the host felt sorry and asked me how many legs a horse has. Yea, I got one right answer. And although I didn't win it was alot of fun.
Once again our cruise ended even with neither of us being ready to go home. So on to the New Orleans airport which went well until we arrived in Houston. Can you guess what happened, YES, another delay so instead of coming home mid afternoon we arrived in Kansas City early evening. We drove a few hours both being totally exhausted from the day of travel and knowing we were in no hurry to get home we spent the night near Emporia. This gave us a good nights sleep and fresh start to finish getting home on Sunday. Less

Published 10/03/12

Cabin review: 6DE58 Ocean View

Read All Ocean View (6D) Reviews >>
Read more Carnival Elation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Elation Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Elation Western Caribbean Cruises

Man of Many Hats
Member Since 2009
189 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Skip X

See Carnival Elation deals up to 82% off:

October Deals
Carnival Elation 72% Loved It

4 Day Freeport & Nassau
See all Carnival Elation Deals >>