• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Cactus77
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Sep 2012
Cabin: Outside Cabin

We went on the Boudicca for a 12 day trip from Newcastle to Baltic ports, during September 2012. We booked last minute, direct with Fred Olsen, which was easy enough. However, when we later tried to get them to correct a misspelt surname, it turned out to be quite stressful. Firstly, I had to wait ages for them to answer the phone and then they wanted to charge me £100 to change 'ea' to 'ie' on the booking form. It was only when they had listened to the tapes and found that it was their error, that they agreed not to charge me. Take care to provide the right details or it will cost you!

We travelled to Newcastle by train from Merseyside. I wouldn't do it again, because the car park is right alongside the terminal. The train was delayed in both directions, causing us to miss connections. Also, the system of reserving seats on trains meant that there were empty seats and people arguing about where they should sit. Reserving seats should be stopped!

That wasn't Fred Olsen's fault though, so what about the ship?

Outside Cabin

Cabin E

Cabin small but comfortable. 2 portholes were good enough for us. Forward end of ship meant no engine noise or vibration. Bathroom adequate.

Port Reviews

Stockholm

Stockholm was a clean, pleasant city, but I can't say that it was a really memorable one. Not worth going on an organised excursion. Just get the shuttle bus into town.... only a couple of minutes away.

Tallinn

Tallin was an interesting place to visit, but it was very close to the dock, so not worth going on the excursion. Cheaper to get a guide book!

Copenhagen

Worth visiting, just to say you've been there. It's a nice clean place, pleasant enough, but I can't say we'll be going back. If you dock at Kalundborg, you've got a 90 minute bus trip each way, to get to Copenhagen. Why don't they dock at Copenhagen itself?

previous reviewnext review