• Newsletter

2-5 Cruises • Age 2020s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Sep 2012
Cabin: Family Penthouse with Large Balcony

My two sisters and I had looked forward to our cruise to Bermuda for several months. We had all sailed on NCL previously although never on the Star. We had originally reserved a Family Suite on deck 12 but were upgraded to a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite on deck 11 when leaking floor to ceiling windows caused our original accommodations to be taken out of service for repairs. Having had a similar suite on the Jade in 2011, I knew that the suite on deck 11 would be a great place to be.

Our embarkation in NYC was quick and easy, and we really enjoyed our lunch, the first of many meals in Cagney's. This was my fifth cruise, and I have NEVER sailed with a friendlier, more pleasant, or more accommodating crew. The staff made a real effort to call us by name. Everyone we passed smiled and said hello. A waiter in the Blue Lagoon offered to go to the main dining room to bring my sister a brownie that was not available in the Blue Lagoon. We loved the coconut ice cream served one night in Aqua. The waitress offered to bring us an extra serving to take to one sister who had not joined us for dinner. One of our Cagney waiters retrieved bowls of coconut ice cream for lunch a day later. It wasn't on the menu, but he got them somewhere. We ate all of our dinners except one in the main dining rooms and found the food and service to be very good to excellent.

It did seem to me that the Star is showing her age. The edges of the wall paper in our suite were separating; a door in a cabinet was off its rail and had to be reattached. The shade for the window of the bathroom was on the floor and could not be rolled up and down after the steward put it up again. A plumber had to be called twice to repair a leak under the sink and replaced all the pipes on the second visit. There were rust stains in the shower and some kind of stain around the edges of most of the hot tubs and the pool. These were not huge things, and I must say they were addressed immediately. We did miss having the aft open dining that we have had on other NCL ships. That area has been replaced with a kids' park with water slides

Family Penthouse with Large Balcony