Carnival freedom August 19 th- 25 th, 2012: Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by bklynangel

Carnival Freedom 5
Member Since 2007
2,112 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Carnival freedom August 19 th- 25 th, 2012

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: Fort Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
My husband and I don't fly, so we headed to ft lauderdale on Amtrak August 17 th, 2012 on the 418 pm train which we were expected to arrive the next day at 6 pm from Trenton new jersey There were a few delays, but arrived at 9 pm. A bunch of cab drivers were huddled in a corner just waiting for business, ,but it looked like we broke up a party. I didn't feel welcomed and expressed to the driver to get me to my hotel, and not give me a tour of ft lauderdale. He looked mad at me, but I didn't care. My hotel was only two miles away from Amtrak and didn't want to be paying 50 dollars for a two mile ride.
We stayed at the embassy suites and really enjoyed our stay overnight. They had everything we needed there, breakfast in the morning, a laundry room on most floors, restaurants in walking distance. I will be staying there again, I enjoyed it. The next morning, my husband and I headed to the pool for a few hours. Check out time was 12 and we didn't want to board the ship way too More early.
We headed to the port with shuttle service from the hotel . We took out our passports, showed them and then headed for another line. One of the workers saw I was having trouble and pushed me ahead to the handicapped line. The total process for me took about 15 mins but if you don't have a handicap, be prepared to wait in line at least a half hour or more.
Everyone was very nice as we boarded the ship. Our room was on the lido deck forward. I just upgraded a few weeks before, I really wanted a balcony. The lido deck is a great location for me. We also asked if we could put our things in the room, and they said ok. There we met Anthony who introduced himself and from there on, he called us by name. He was very friendly and very nice to us.

We went to lunch at the buffet and then it was time to head to the room. The muster drill was late and very long. I had problems standing and there was no help. I wanted to do a web cam wave from my balcony and was able to get there in time but we were already sailing before the drill was over. The weather was beautiful and the sail-away left lasting impressions. By the time the sail-away was over, our luggage was in our rooms. We went back, put all our stuff away, and changed into our bathing suites to hang out at the pools and hot tubs till diner.
During that time, we also went to speak to the maitre de about my diet restrictions and customer service I had to be put on a list for help if I needed it.
That night , we went to diner to meet our waiters. I wasn't impressed with my head waiter, when I told him about my diet, he said ok, but didn't check the first night and after he delivered my food, he said he would check. That evening after diner, I went to speak to a hostess. Her names was Patricia and the maitre de about how sick I can get without my special diet. From that night on, she ordered my food for me, came to my table, and ordered for the next day. She really took a lot of time with me.
The next day was key west. We didn't have any plans but wanted to go to the most southern point. EVeryone said it wasn't too far, but if you have trouble walking, we tried to but then caught a bicycle man that drove us around on the bike, and dropped us off at the southern point. We left early in the morning while it was still very cool out. We took some pictures there and headed back to the ship and back into our bathing suites. We ordered room service for a snack, veggies and fruits and a ham and cheese sandwich for the hubby.
The next day was a relaxing sea day, spend most of my time in the adult areas. We visited the casino, listened to some music, played a little trivia, shopped and ate on schedule. By now I was becoming extremely exhausted. I also tried the water slide.
Grand cayman was the third day. What a beautiful island. We took a cab to seven mile beach. The water crystal clear and beautiful. I had a very nice day here. We came back early and booked a tour for the next day in Jamaica.
The next day we arrived in Jamaica. There was a huge storm and our tour was cancelled to Dunn's river falls on a catamaran . We waited on the ship for the storm to clear and then got off and headed into town. We wanted to go to Dunn's river falls so we caught a cab. It cost us 5 dollars each way and the cab driver waited an hour for us and took us back to the ship. The falls is very beautiful.
All and all, I have nothing too bad to say about this cruise, it was probably one of the best cruises I have taken and one of the most relaxing.
We had one night that the ship was pretty rocky, but what can I say, it's hurricane season.
Well , to sum this review up, the food was excellent, service was wonderful, and just an all around great vacation. Less

Published 09/08/12

Cabin review: 8C9222 Balcony

We were on the lido deck forward, port side room 9222. There is alittle bit of noise ,but not to keep you awake. It sounds like water running ,but I loved the room anyway, it didn't bother me in any way, I was just curious of why. As far as quiet, the hallways were always quiet cause those rooms only hold two in each room, so hardly any family's on that deck. I always love forward cabins. I used the balcony a lot.

Read All Balcony (8C) Reviews >>
Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Freedom Review >>

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Member Since 2007
2,112 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Skip X

See Carnival Freedom deals up to 82% off:

October Deals
Carnival Freedom 77% Loved It

14 Night Carnival Journeys - Panama Can
See all Carnival Freedom Deals >>