3. Celebrity Eclipse
This was a last minute Switch as I had planned to go next year. Coming down from Yorkshire I had decided to stay at the Ibis (which I would also recommend) Having previously sailed with Cunard from the QE Terminal was expecting the worse. Being in Aqua Class check in was fast, efficient and friendly. This time it was possible to take family photos in the drop of which had not been the case previously. The ship though is huge and although full did not seem crowded. Obviously having been on the Queen Mary I could not notice the differences in layout, personally I liked the Eclipse better with its grand enfilade of rooms and the Atrium. The only thing that the ship lacked was a proper ballroom, since events suited to the Queens Room were scattered through out the Ship. Being in Aqua class meant meals were taken in Blu, which is the best restaurant afloat, the service was superb and the food excellent, it was also noticed how well ALL the staff worked together. Other restaurants used included Tuscany and Bistro on 5, all of which were excellent. Entertainment was both good and bad. Some of the special external acts were extremely poor and rude. This contrasted with the excellent "Home staff" who's performances were superb but were sometimes squeezed into the odd corners. On a number of occasions a lousy "show" was followed by an excellent "ambush" by Full tilt in comedy central. Going to the Baltics meant booking tours and I opted for Celebrity Tours. The quality was generally ok, but if I doing it again would go off more by myself. it should be noted that only information on Celebrity tours was available on board this will be mentioned later. The only bad things were the on board shops which were under US Customs regulations for allowances and which closed after Tallin.

St Petersburg

Amsterdam 352’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

AquaClass
Cabin A2 1629
My cabin was Aqua Class on deck 11 and was excellent. Cabin was quiet and the extra benefits were definitely worth upgrading for
Penthouse Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    Berlin was a long way from the ship but was worth it! The tour Guide was perfect and we had the afternoon free in Berlin, would really recommend the tour.
    View All 110 City Tour Reviews
  • Copenhagen
    Excellent tour, but if you are doing it yourself there is no need for the shuttle bus as HOHO stop at the ship and also town is within an easy walk.
    View All 853 Copenhagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Copenhagen Cruise Port Review
  • Ghent
    A lot of the comments about the trips apply to all ports so I will say this only once. The knowledgeable and Slick tours team made joining the correct tour a pleasure with no hassle of finding the coach or queuing. The Ghent excursion was taken and our guide on the canal boat (Patrick)was excellent, unfortunately the same could not be said about the proper guide who could be confusing at times.
    View All 14 Ghent Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ghent Cruise Port Review
  • Helsinki
    Helsinki was done on my own, but for the first time I encountered the Selling system of the tours section. Rather than providing impartial port advice they are keen to sell a Celebrity "Package" which in this case was a shuttle bus to town. they failed to mention that the Tram stop was about 400M from the ship.
    View All 691 Helsinki Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Helsinki Cruise Port Review
  • Catherine Palace
    I did the palaces at Tsarskoye selo, the guide was the complete opposite of the previous one and showed us what we wanted to see, including time for gifts. This is where the second problem with the advice from the ship was not reflected on the ground. The advice from the ship was Rubles are not needed - true if you went to the recommended Celebrity shops but no good for a coffee or carriage ride. Overall though would recommend the last Romanov tour.
    View All 179 Catherine Palace Reviews
  • City Tour
    This was the reason for the Cruise and to be honest was the worst trip of the cruise, first port of call was the Winter Palace and this is where the guide seemed to suffer selective memory, we toured the Winter Palace before entering the Hermitage, but although we got plenty of information regarding Nicholas 1st nothing was said about the later Czars. we were then given a tour of the guides favorite pictures and then missed out the rest of the state apartments by taking a "short cut" which followed directly underneath . It did not help when a number of people got locked in the Toilet on separate occasions.
    View All 271 City Tour Reviews