Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by cruiserpupdog

• Sail Date: Aug 2012
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony

Being a first time cruiser, my expectations were low and I was pleasantly surprised and had a very relaxing vacation. The cabin was nice and had much more room for storage than what I'd expected with large closets and a vanity with drawers/cabinets and good space in the bathroom for toiletries. Our favorite part was the balcony. Lots of room and quite nice to watch docking from. We enjoyed the food and the variety of guests on the ship with an extremely good meal at Chops.

We only had two disappointments -the entertainment was not exactly what we were looking for. The ship had great bands in the lobby/pool areas, but the main entertainment fell a bit short. We saw the dancing/singing "movies" show along with the Beatles and the acrobats and the only one we really enjoyed was the Beatles. Just not our style of entertainment. The other disappointments were the ports. Santorini and Turkey offered more to see, but Bari was a disappointment and I wished we'd just stayed on the ship that day and perhaps we should have researched excursions bit more in advance as we were looking for more active excursions and these were more relaxing islands- not a bad thing, just looking for a bit more variety to do. It seemed like the Europeans were looking for the beach/relaxation where the people who traveled much further were looking for the activities/history things to do.

I was surprised after losing my swimsuit in port on day that the ship had very limited shopping on-board.

The staff couldn't have been better and the ease of travelling from the check-in/check-out and excursions really were amazing.

I will cruise again as it was a great way to see lots of ports at a more superficial level, but if you want to see more of the culture and people, a day in port is hard to fit in a lot of experiences.

Only advice....know what you want beforehand, but I had a very fun and relaxing vacation and had a very enjoyable experience on the ship.

cruiserpupdog's Full Rating Summary

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin D1 6116

Bari

Not much to see or do in this town. Had a bad lunch and got followed by a creepy guy!

Corfu

pretty town...lots of walking....a little too touristy.

Santorini

loved the town (how could you not)but it was super crowded as it was high season. be warned, you need to give yourself plenty of time to catch the cable car down as we had over a 45 minute wait to catch the tram back down at the end of the day.

Katakolon (Olympia)

Only one real option for an excursion. Shopping was good in town and walkable from the ship.

Ephesus

Great experience with so much to see.

City Tour

had a great tour guide with Zee. She customized the tour to our levels of interest and gave us options on shopping on what we were interested in. This allowed us to avoid the lines at Ephesus and the House of Virgin Mary from the huge tour groups. We had a great meal at a local restaurant. We just needed to tell her more our spending levels as we did go to a leather shop with ridiculously high prices for our tastes, but I'm sure there were more options if we would have set our price expectations ahead of time.

View All 12 City Tour Reviews