3. Splendour of the Seas
Being a first time cruiser, my expectations were low and I was pleasantly surprised and had a very relaxing vacation. The cabin was nice and had much more room for storage than what I'd expected with large closets and a vanity with drawers/cabinets and good space in the bathroom for toiletries. Our favorite part was the balcony. Lots of room and quite nice to watch docking from. We enjoyed the food and the variety of guests on the ship with an extremely good meal at Chops. We only had two disappointments -the entertainment was not exactly what we were looking for. The ship had great bands in the lobby/pool areas, but the main entertainment fell a bit short. We saw the dancing/singing "movies" show along with the Beatles and the acrobats and the only one we really enjoyed was the Beatles. Just not our style of entertainment. The other disappointments were the ports. Santorini and Turkey offered more to see, but Bari was a disappointment and I wished we'd just stayed on the ship that day and perhaps we should have researched excursions bit more in advance as we were looking for more active excursions and these were more relaxing islands- not a bad thing, just looking for a bit more variety to do. It seemed like the Europeans were looking for the beach/relaxation where the people who traveled much further were looking for the activities/history things to do. I was surprised after losing my swimsuit in port on day that the ship had very limited shopping on-board. The staff couldn't have been better and the ease of travelling from the check-in/check-out and excursions really were amazing. I will cruise again as it was a great way to see lots of ports at a more superficial level, but if you want to see more of the culture and people, a day in port is hard to fit in a lot of experiences. Only advice....know what you want beforehand, but I had a very fun and relaxing vacation and had a very enjoyable experience on the ship.

Splendor of the seas august 2012