3. Navigator of the Seas
Okay, being 16 (15 at the time of the cruise) I can tell you how it will be from a kid's point of view! I LOVE RCL! And so do my parents! It's our favorite line..and the Nav is our all time favorite ship and favorite cruise! My parents have been on 15 cruises and I my 13 yr. old brother and I have been on 5. The Navigator is the ultimate ship if you want all the adventure and a real kid-oriented experience. They have everything--a rock climbing wall, mini-golf, roller blading, inside ice skating rink, and a fabulous kids program! Of course, it's not just the kid's program that i enjoyed! I loved the BIG ship. It was like a small city floating in the middle of the ocean. Embarkation--FABULOUS! We got at the pier around noon and it was pretty much smooth sailing. There were two mega ships and we weren't sure which one was the Navigator, so we went to the wrong terminal and the staff was quite rude. Other than that, once we found which way to go, we went in a short line and then it was on the ship in no more than 10 minutes. Walking on the ship is just a gorgeous sight! We were greeted by friendly-staff and the kids program counselors that handed us an itinerary of events and told us about what we could do on the ship!! We headed to our rooms (balcony on deck 7, my brother and I got a connecting room to my parents..we got a good deal but booked 13 months in advance to get it!) and check it out, then headed to the buffet and then walked around the ship, amazed! Food and Dining---We LOVED Johnny Rockets which was right by the teen rooms and the arcade! They sold burgers, fries, shakes (you have to pay extra for shakes) and a whole 50's theme. The staff in J.R. was kind of rude the few times just me and my brother walked in to grab a burger...but other than that the food is awesome there! We(including my parents) loved the Windjammer (is that how you spell it?) A good variety of foods for any person...but it was usually so crowded you couldn't find a table. The dining room was absolutely gorgeous! We asked to be seated at a table for 4, but were seated with a french couple with the worst behaved kid I've ever met! He would scream at the top of his lungs, take the knives and throw them, and walk over to other tables and grab their napkins and forks. But other than that, our waiter was excellent and very, very friendly! The food was pretty good...I didn't go to the dinning room more than three times (rather have dinner with my new friends and our awesome counselor!) But my parents went every night and they absolutely loved the service and the food. The only thing I didn't like about the dining room was they have windows all along the walls so you can see the smooth ocean floating by, but the drapes were always closed. Service---Overall, the service was EXCELLENT! Everyone was always happy to help you out and get you whatever you needed. The only disappointing thing is being a kid, some are quite rude and just ignore you or brush by. People opened the doors for us to the pool and everything! Cabin---We got 2 oceanview balcony staterooms and they were excellent. Closet space was more than needed and the bathroom was bigger than usual. There wasn't a lot of walking space. The balcony was my favorite part of the room! Very relaxing and peaceful. Our stewart was awesome! Always TWO mints on our pillows and they always made us animals out of the fresh towels and laid them on our pillows and used my sunglasses as shades for the bunny! The room was always kept clean and neat. Pool---I love the pool area and the hot tubs! There were plenty of hot tubs (which were huge) and the pool was nice (always too cold though). There were plenty of deck chairs, but then again, there were plenty of passengers! So, it was hard to find 3 or 4 deck chairs for us all to enjoy. There were barrels of fresh, folded beach towels right by the sliding doors on each side, and a pool burger and fries bar! (One of my favorite things!) There was always a live band playing, and while they took a brake, they played all different types of music. The solarium was nice too, didn't spend too much time in there except with my parents (kids aren't allowed unattended), but being 15, I wasn't yelling and screaming, just enjoying time with my mom on a beach chair. Shops/public areas---The mini-mall in the middle of the ship is AWESOME! They have several bars and little night clubs you can go into right from the mall (which I only saw the day we got on when it was empty) but there was one mini-club that looked so cool. At the doors are medieval knight armour and you enter and go down stairs and its a cool mid-evil theme! I was upset they didn't have themed kid/teen rooms like that! But, anyway, back to the mall...there were shops and then little shops which had 24-hour service of pizza and cookies (free) and then coffee drinks (not free). The other shops always seemed to be crowded, but they sold candy and snacks(chips, gum, etc.), which I've never seen being sold on a ship before. Kid Program/arcade---"The living room" is just 1 of the teen rooms! "Fuel" is the other for ages 15-17 and "the living room" was from 12-14. My brother was 12, so I decided to stay with him. I spent almost all my free-time in the teen room or the awesome arcade! The kids rooms are all right next to the pool, but up a deck. In "The living room" they have a little bar with pizza and soft drinks (not free unless you buy a soda card..which is really worth the $20!) and three TV's that played music videos, a computer area (25 cents per minute, but its 50 cents per min for adults) and just an awesome hang out area with couches and funky chairs! Fuel has a dance floor and a d.j. booth and then a private deck outback where they have parties. We swapped rooms every once in a while. A few activities were: Scavenger Hunts, Hot-tub parties, Ice-skating, rock-climbing, mini-golf game, other games, movie night, Pizza night, Trivia, Club night, etc... The younger kids rooms have video games, computer games (free), etc. The arcade is AWESOME!! It's huge (bigger than arcades at the mall) and it has awesome games. You can have credit on your passenger card for $5, $10, $15+, which makes it easier than using real money or tokens. Overall the kid's program was awesome! And our counselor Judy was the best! I made friends with all of the kids in our group and its very diverse. There was a boy from Columbia (the country) and another from Puerto Rico, and 2 boys from England, and the other kids were from all over the U.S. It was a small group, but we always met up even when it wasn't a scheduled time and just had a blast! Ports---The ports we went to were Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel. In GRAND CAYMAN we just walked around---it was so crowded (at least 9 other ships were there at once!) then got back on the ship and went to the pool and had some lunch. In Jamaica we went tubing on this fresh-water river. It was AWESOME! We took a van over to the river (the roads are very poor and curvy!) and got in our life-jackets and tubes. It started to drizzle and the water was a little cold, but it was still an awesome experience! I would not walk around in Jamaica other than the small area of shops by the pier. The people there can be rude and are always trying to sell you drugs and hound you to buy things for their store. In COZUMEL we went to Passion Island. It was very, very windy, which made the air cold. We were met by our guide and the others on the pier early, then were led to an air-conditioned bus and drove about 20 minutes to the little pier. We got on a ferry and drove over the ocean to a gorgeous little island. We had some lunch (mahi-mahi, yum!) which are now my favorite foods and I can't hardly find them in the states! And then there are free beers and lounge chairs, hammocks, and a beach with the clearest water ever! I slept in a hammock while my parents and brother swam and bought a few souvenirs. Overall, our trip was absolutely AMAZING!! The ship was AWESOME and GORGEOUS! My dad, who was scared that the Nav would have nothing but long lines and overwhelming everything, had the best time and looked into booking a cruise on the same ship before the cruise was over! Out of 15 cruises, this one was his favorite and the ship was his favorite also. I love everything about RCL, and I'm looking forward to my next cruise on RCL's Grandeur of the Seas next Friday out of Baltimore! Happy Cruising!

Navigator of the Seas - Western Caribbean