• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

10+ Cruises • Age 50s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Jul 2012
Cabin: Superior Verandah Suite

This was our second cruise on Holland America. First was on the Statendam so we were excited to be on HA's flagship. Boy were we disappointed. The ship itself is nice. The service and staff however were indifferent. We were disappointed with Holland America.

Good: Nice ship and cabin. We had a wonderful balcony that provided a great place to relax and take in the Baltic scenery. The ports were all fantastic. We love exploring on our own and were able to easily do that in all ports (except St Petersburg). Our room steward provided very good service even though we only saw him twice during the whole sailing. We would leave for a few minutes and when we returned he had already tidied our cabin.

Minus: Overall service was lackluster. It wasn't poor but it was about average. We did have a couple of issues that needed to be resolved and it took a long time for the staff to assist. Dining experience in the main dining room was not good. We were unable to get set dining times so were assigned As You Wish Dining (which should be called As you Wait Dining). Each meal required a wait in line to receive a pager to wait for a table and then a wait at the table for service. When I did call at 7am to make a 8pm reservation for that evening I was informed that there were no more tables except at 530. I asked how long in advance you could make a reservation I was told 3 days. I requested a reservation for the next 3 days between 730-830 and was told the only times open were 545. The food in the Pinnacle Grille was good...the service was average. Le Cirque night at Pinnacle is a complete waste of money. It was one of the worst meals we had on the ship.

Superior Verandah Suite