3. Azamara Journey
Prior to this cruise, our most recent trips were on Oceania (2 times) and on the Norwegian Epic (twice) in a penthouse suite. We thoroughly enjoyed all the cruises. But when we had to put off our next Oceania to 2013 due to travel problems linked with olympics in London, she suggested we do Azamara. And I'm glad she did. From the moment we stepped onto the ship, till the moment we departed, we felt cared about by the crew. CABIN - The small size of the cabin and bathroom didn't bother us that much since we had sailed twice before on the old Renaissance cruise ships with Oceania. FOOD - My wife and I thought the food was excellent. Because we spent so much time in the evenings off the ship, we only ate in the steakhouse one night and in the main dining room 3 nights. Two of the other nights they had dinner on the deck, and it was incredible. And even though I hate buffets, especially for dinner, the dinner buffet in the upstairs restaurant was excellent. Now, I didn't eat that much of the heavy stuff, but between the buffets here and the ones on the deck, I had escargots 3 times, which thrilled me no end. We didn't use room service at all. I don't drink wine, but my wife enjoyed the free wine with meals. ENTERTAINMENT - This was a pleasant surprise. We had gotten used to so-so entertainment on the smaller ships, but this group was great. Dean, the cruise director, made the cruise even better with his great humor and terrific singing voice. CAPTAIN - I have to make a comment on Captain Johannes. He was a regular guy - someone you just love to be with - and with a great sense of humor. NEGATIVE - My only complaint is that getting signed up for internet the first 2 days was a fiasco. The computer guy was there only a few hours a day, and people were really getting frustrated. It got so bad that I had to help. I don't think they understand that many (most?) of the passengers are older and not that computer savy. So having someone who I thought was only OK (and that might be generous), working a few hours a day was not good. But we did enjoy it so much that we have booked the Antarctica cruise from Buenos Aires in January.

Great Baltic Cruise On Azamara Journey

financesec’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Club Veranda Stateroom
Cabin V1 7067
We were in the middle of the ship on the 7th floor. Picked this floor because there are only staterooms above and below. Cabins are fairly small, but big enough for us. Bathrooms small, but not a problem - although we would have liked larger. Good storage space.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Copenhagen
    We docked in an industrial area so it wasn't very nice - not bad - just not real good. It was the port farthest away from town. We got there at 8:00 pm and took the ship's canal ride. It was great.

Next day we took the ships shuttle into town and did another Hop-On Hope Off. Again, we didn't hop-off till we got back. But it was a good way to see things. Met shipmates for lunch and ate at an outdoor cafe, which was really nice.

Next day we gook the ship's transportation to the airport. It's nice that Azamara doesn't soak you as much as most cruise lines for these trips.
    View All 853 Copenhagen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Copenhagen Cruise Port Review
  • Helsinki
    Helsinki was great. The nice thing about small ships is you can dock at smaller ports. We docked in town and took the bike excursion. A nice 10 mile ride, and a great way to see the city.
    View All 691 Helsinki Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Helsinki Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    Did the bus ride around the city, and pretty much saw everything. We did a stop at the Metro and took the train one stop and back. Not to be missed. Their subway system is beautiful. Also, separate from the independent tour, we took the cruise the first evening. Really enjoyed it.
    View All 271 City Tour Reviews
  • Hermitage Museum
    Beautiful. The nice part of the independent tours is we could get to the front of the line.
    View All 273 Hermitage Museum Reviews
  • Peterhof Palace
    We took a hydrofoil to Peterhof. It was a gorgeous day. Then went to Catherine's Palace. We got box lunches from the ship so we could eat on the van between stops.
    View All 176 Peterhof Palace Reviews
  • Russian Ballet Show
    Great city to visit. Again, the advantage is we were able to park in town with a great view right outside our cabin. We booked a tour with Anastasia Travel with 3 other couples we met on Roll Call. Worked out great. We had a nice roomy van.

View All 68 Russian Ballet Show Reviews
  • Stockholm
    Stockholm is beautiful. We like to arrive a day before our cruise left, and that's what we did here. We landed early in the morning, so just walked around Old Town and had some pizza before we got into our hotel. That evening we joined a couple we met on the plane and had a terrific (though pricey) dinner in Old Town. The next day we took the hop-on hop-off bus. We stayed on the whole time, but enjoyed the tour. It does go right to where the ship is docked, so you can take it from there, also.

The next morning, we did the Ice Bar, which was so much fun. We had almost done it on the Epic a few times, but didn't. This was a great experience.
    View All 673 Stockholm Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Stockholm Cruise Port Review
  • Tallinn
    We weren't going to do anything but walk around, but we had book through an agent who is with an American Express company, so we got a complementary tour of the city. It was very enjoyable.
    View All 795 Tallinn Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Tallinn Cruise Port Review
  • Visby
    We just walked into town. A nice short walk from the port. Nice walking around, but nothing special.
    View All 34 Visby Cruise Port Reviews