• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Celebrity Solstice Review

Editor Rating
30 Awards

Nice to get away, nice ship, not what I was expecting

Review for Celebrity Solstice to the Eastern Caribbean
1totravel
2-5 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Jan 2012
Cabin: AquaClass 2

The purpose of this trip was to decompress and spend time together. It didn't matter where we were going; I just wanted to be pampered and fed. Overall, the Solstice accomplished the mission. The ship was beautiful and clean. This was our second trip with Celebrity and our preferred line over Royal Caribbean and Carnival.

We spent the night before in town to avoid airport madness the same day as embarkation, always advised. Unfortunately, we followed the instructions in our Celebrity guest booklet that said to arrive for check-in at 1:30. We arrived about 1, and upon check-in we were told to join the AQ reception, oh wait, that just ended...at 1:30. I would have thought that would have been in our booklet. Oh well, now we know. It was nice that we had our check-in own line, almost; it merged with the handicap line. Still, faster than the other line. Luggage took a bit longer to arrive than in the past.

The Aqua Class perks aren't really as I hoped. We still love Celebrity, but were a little disappointed with some of the AQ advertised amenities.

AquaClass 2

Cabin A2

Room 1635 was nice and the cons were all things I could live with. We rarely saw our attendant and sometimes his cleaning timing was off. He did tell us that it was his first time working Aqua Class, it showed. The bathroom overall was great, nice layout and roomy even for my 6'1 guy. The shower was a bit testy, "massage" feature didn't work, well, it did if you wanted to hear a high pitched noise. One of the closet doors also didn't slide well. I'm sure we could have reported it, but the purpose of the trip, avoid drama. We found our room easy to get to and generally quiet. It was also easy to walk up to the buffet, but preferred the elevator to go to Blu.

Port Reviews

San Juan

(3p-11p)- We didn't want to be out after dark, so we only opted to walk to the old fort and back to the ship. We got a map from the Visitor Center which is located at the end of the block from the CVS. With your back to the water that would be to the left of the CVS. Sorry, I don't remember the exact street corner. The walk wasn't too bad, only a couple steep spots. It was nice to walk along the water route, but town was a little sketchy a couple times. Luckily, I'm with the big guy, so I usually feel pretty safe. Perfect amount of time to be back by sunset.

St. Maarten

Could probably rate higher if we'd done something different.

Booked the see and sea tour via Celebrity. The sea portion was cancelled due to the rough seas. The see portion was not great. Our bus was about 20 minutes late. The tour of the island was depressing. There is a lot of post hurricane devastation even years later and poverty. The French capital of Marigot was crazy. Traffic was terrible and the market was a scam. They take you here first and they know they have first hack at you on pricing. When you return to port you’ll find the same things for much less. There is a really good French Patisserie here, but not really worth the overall experience. I wish we would have just stayed at the port/beach.

Find a Celebrity Solstice Cruise from $949