We cruised with P&O last year and noticed a difference in the service from our last cruise 2003. However this year there was an even greater reduction in service especially in the area of waiter service in the dinning room. The staff had lost there friendly talkative style and just concentrated on serving. So much so that one person on our table had his plate removed whilst he was still holding his knife and fork and eating his last mouthful. A small minority of bar waiters walked about like automatons and some just stood in front of you waiting for you to order they never spoke throughout the whole process. I wonder if this has something to do with the compulsory tipping they have introduced. I have only ever gone with them because of the excellent service but if this is how far they have sunk I shall be looking elsewhere. I have no objection to portion control as on other cruises there was lots of wasted food however 6 chips and 12 baked beans in a small ramekin at one lunch is taking it to far. Afternoon tea in the restaurant used to be the highlight but not any more again thanks to poor service such as no explanation as to what the sandwiches were and having to ask for scones etc. The overall experience was good but it was spoilt by the poor service. I do not recognise P&O from this trip or from the description given by the managing director in the on board video. There is a problem with this company.

Has P&O dumbed down to far

Oceana Cruise Review by Stephen James

Stephen James’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Inside Twin with Shower
Cabin OB 238
small cabin when beds are in queen configuration. cabin next to crew area and could be noisy at times
  Oceana Deck Plans