Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by Jherrera75

• Sail Date: Mar 2005
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean View Stateroom

I boarded the Radiance of the Seas on March 6, 2005 for a W. Caribbean vacation. My first impression when I first boarded was "wow, what a beautiful ship!". I've been on other ships of the same size, and I have to say, the Radiance's ship lay out is awesome. You can tell the designers maximized on each square inch. The ship seems larger than what it really is. The glass elevators were beautiful; especially zooming up to the upper decks with the view of the ocean.

Entertainment was ok....nothing out of this world. I expected better from this class of ship. However, the Cruise Director (Gordon), was entertaining, funny and made the trip so much fun.

The food was ok. They had a steak meal the was tougher than rubber. I had it exchanged for a lobster/shrimp meal. That meal was excellent! The Windjammer Buffet was ok. The eggs served during breakfast were horrible. Overall, it was good and served it purpose of offering casual dining. The specialty restaurants were excellent; both Portofino's and Chop's Grille; worth the $20 fee.

I was disappointed at the lack of daytime activities, especially the days we were at sea. Actually, it was downright boring! I couldn't believe I had nothing to do at 4PM, expect just lounge at the pool and wait for Dinner/Show time later that evening. This cruise seems better suited for the older crowd who just wants to relax and prefers little activity. The night club, "Starquest", was mostly empty every night! People sleeping at 10PM on their vacations?

Overall, nice ship for people looking to chill and relax. If you're looking for more activities, night life, younger crowd (20s-40s), this is not the ship for you. I would recommend a Voyager Class ship or Carnival. The ship is elegant and well designed, offering many beautiful public spaces and lounges. If you have kids, this is not the ship for them! They won't make many friends. However, if you're an experienced cruiser looking for an elegant ship and relaxing times, this ship is for you!

I must say....I had a great time!!! However, I'll pick something with a little more excitement next time.

Jherrera75's Full Rating Summary