• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Naval Aviator
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: May 2012
Cabin: Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C

Embarkation - We drove down from Orlando in a rental which we dropped off down town and grabbed a short taxi to the port. Check in was nominal with a little wait that appeared more due to the timing of arrival than Celebrities efficiency checking people in. Once checked in it appeared as though we had to walk the length of the ship 3 times before finally boarding, not Celebrities doing but still a little annoying. Once onboard we were greeted nicely and offered free champagne, mimosa, etc. We proceeded to our stateroom and found it ready and clean.

Stateroom - We choose a standard veranda stateroom on deck 7, 7022 to be specific. This room should have been advertised as a partially obscured room, I would not have booked it if I was aware of the forward obscuration. The room was well equipped with a new flat screen TV and the usual amenities. As part of the upgrade new mattresses were installed and ours was no exception, we found it be very comfortable. We had plenty of storage space and the room steward brought us extra hangers. Our smoke detector kept beeping (low battery) and instead of replacing the battery they simply removed the smoke detector and placed it behind the TV and it continued beeping at which time I removed the battery. Also the interactive capability on the TV was not working but that was remedied quickly after a call to ship services. Early in the cruise I noticed that the deck did not appear very clean but a day later it appeared cleaner.

Activities -- We found the activities quite average for a cruise, nothing outstanding. The shipboard lectures were informational and the speakers very good. I particularly enjoyed a speaker from the Smithsonian Institute. We were disappointed that the normal talks on the ports of call were not provided, a little shopping information was given and that was it. Port information is quite crucial and the lack thereof was disconcerting. Although all the usual activities were provided I would have enjoyed more food preparation presentations. Also Celebrity has done away with the movie theater on this ship which I normally take advantage of on sea days to my chagrin. I suppose they found a more cost effective way to use the space where the movie theatre once was.

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2C

Cabin 2C

Cabin 7022 is a standard Veranda Cabin with adequate storage space. Location is forward with a stairwaell nearby. Cabin should have been advertised as a partially obscured cabin as large pillons obscured the view forward, do not book if you want an open view.

Port Reviews

Antigua

We did a self guided tour which is ample in this small town, however do your research ahead of time and get your own maps off the internet. There is many interesting sites and not much time so pre plan your route if you are able to.

Cabo San Lucas

We took the ships Coastal Highlights Tour. The tour was ok but we had a terrible guide and got little useful information from him. I would try to find an independent tour, but I was unable to. The scenic drive was enjoyable. We also went to a good resturant for lunch.

previous reviewnext review