3. Splendour of the Seas
We had a great time on this cruise but there were some disappointments. Embarkation was very easy. We got to the cruise terminal at 11:45 and were on the ship before noon. Our stateroom was very nice although for the price we could have had a nicer stateroom on one of Carnival's Spirit class ships. Our stateroom attendant was adequate not great. Food was awful, although the service was outstanding. Our waiter and ass't waiter were the best I have had on any cruise. I highly recommend getting the wine package if you enjoy wine with dinner. The choices were good and the price was outstanding. The Windjammer Cafe was worse than the King and I dining room. Avoid it at all cost. Breakfast and lunch in the dining room were adequate. We found lunch to be better than dinner. I ate mostly vegetables at all meals because they were fresh, usually steamed and had some taste. There were many activities on the ship. The spa was over priced and the services were marginal. I did however get a fairly decent free facial the first day because they needed someone for a demonstration during the spa tours. We chose this itinerary because we scuba dive. We did not make it into Grand Cayman. The reason was somewhat sketchy - they said that it was not safe to tender. (We heard at other ports that since the hurricane the Cayman Port Authority also has something to do with these decisions.) We booked our own scuba trip in Cozumel - Scuba with Alison. She was outstanding!!! Cozumel is an awesome place to dive. There is an abundance of beautiful fish and we saw 3 giant sea turtles. I highly recommend Alison. She will not take more than 8 divers. We did the ships scuba excursion in Belize. It was diving with the herd - 14 people. We had "Joe diver" who had only been diving for a year and had to tell everyone how to dive. Funny, he was the guy who didn't pay attention to the dive tables and went too deep. Imagine that!!! Belize was unimpressive as was the dive operation. Also, RCI does not give you the correct info on their website as to total cost and what would be provided. I do not recommend booking with the ship. Costa Maya is a machination of the cruise ship companies - TOURIST TRAP!!! We went back to the ship after an hour. I can buy the same things in Ensenada for less. The highlight of the ship was the Schooner Bar. We spent most of our time on board there talking to Loren the bartender from Jamaica. He was wonderful to say the least. We became friends with a group of people who would meet there everyday. Lot's of fun!!! There were many young children and teenagers on this trip because of spring break. For the most part they were very good but if you are trying to avoid the kids I would not book in March or thru the middle of April. All in all we had a good time but probably will not book with RCI again. Carnival, even on their 3 day cruises had better food, better services and nicer cabin for the money.

Splendour of the Seas - Western Caribbean