• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Glory Review

Editor Rating
4 Awards

Slight disappointment this time, but overall still good

Review for Carnival Glory to the Western Caribbean
Qikese
6-10 Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: May 2012
Cabin: Interior

Embarkation/Debarkation: This ship sailed out of Norfolk. You can expect about an hour or so of multiple lines getting on the ship. Once you get through the first line, it gets moving pretty quickly though, so I don't think it's too bad considering they have to get over 3,000 people checked in. Getting off the ship is a little tougher because you do have to get out of your cabin by 8:30 a.m. and I'm not much of a morning person. It's slightly annoying because you have to hurry up to get out of your cabin and then wait, often for a long period of time, before you're allowed to disembark. But, I understand it. The stewards and other staff members have to get ready for all the new guests coming on board and I must admit, Carnival has this process down to a science. They have over 3,000 people off the ship in time to have the next 3,000+ people board beginning at 1:00 p.m.. Pretty impressive overall, but a little bit of a pain for the passengers.

Staff: Service good. Waiters and waitresses in the dining halls use your name whenever possible when they speak with you. It's plain to see that the staff work their butts off as is typical of most ships. It was also nice to see that they did a better job of keeping the tables clear this time around, most especially up on the Lido deck.

Entertainment: This is where the word "disappointment" comes in within my title. I've been on the Glory several times now, the last of which was back in Oct 2010. On this cruise (May 2012) a year and half later, the big show entertainment on the ship was still the same. When I say "big shows," I'm referring to those in the main theater. After a year and a half, you'd think they'd have new material. I'm sure I'm not the only one who might cruise once a year or once every couple of years, so I'm sure I'm not the only one that would want some different shows. They did change the entertainment in the atrium and the piano bar, however. Unfortunately though, neither was as good as the entertainers that were in the atrium and piano bar the last time we were on the ship. Hence, some added disappointment.

Interior

Cabin 4F

Interior cabin 7319 on the Carnival Glory: This cabin is on the 7th floor, the Empress Deck more or less in the middle of the ship. It's a location I prefer because I'm not fond of elevators and this deck allows me to only have to climb up or down a couple of floors to get to most of what I want to get to most of the time. The cabin, like most on Carnival Ships, is small but adequate. It has two single beds that were pushed together to make one bed that ends up being somewhere between a typical queen and king size. There are no windows in an interior cabin and since my husband thinks I'm part vampire (I like sleeping in total darkness), this works for me. It's far enough away from the elevators that you don't get the noise from the drunk passengers who are hootin' and hollerin' as they make their way to their own cabins at 3 a.m.

Port Reviews

Nassau

This particular cruise spends 2 days in Nassau, something that I enjoy a lot. I prefer less ports for a longer duration in each port as you get to spend more time at the port without having to look at your watch constantly. It makes the port stay more relaxing and enjoyable, IMO.

I've been to Nassau several times now and it's a fun port to visit. Of course, you have Atlantis, Senior Frogs, the Hard Rock Cafe, the Straw Market, the Fish Fry, and I also found a neat little zoo (Ardastra Gardens Zoo and Conservation Center) with a flamingo march the last time I was in port and who wouldn't want to see a flamingo march? I recommend it for the unique factor if nothing else.

I also recommend a one time visit to Atlantis just to see it. It's overpriced, but it is beautiful. You can walk through the hotel and grounds without paying a fee though and I highly recommend doing that. Even just walking the grounds will allow spectacular views and you can see some of the many fish, sting rays, and sharks they have swimming around in their various lagoons.

I highly recommend Senor Frogs for a party night and they have tasty drinks that are cheaper than buying them on the ship. They are especially great for the 20 to 35 crowd at night when they have a guy whose job is to get the party started and keep it going (and he's good at his job). As an added perk, they are within walking (or staggering) distance to and from the ship.

The straw market is cool to visit, but you do see a lot of the same kitschy merchandise over and over again at the various stands. If you do visit the Straw Market, don't forget to haggle, haggle, haggle over prices. DO NOT pay the first price you are quoted as that's never as low as they can go. Often, you can get prices reduced by 'pretending' to walk away or acting slightly less interested in a product than you actually are.

previous reviewnext review